Pin Strips

Maddog121483

LVC Member
Reaction score
how in the world do you remove pin striping safely? they are the stick type, not the hand painted. thanks guys

I went to my local paint supplier and bought this big rubber wheel that fits on a drill. Thats what is made for so it will not hurt the paint. I then buffed out the paint and applied some good wax and done. If you need any further info and can call my local shop and ask more information from them, who makes it and so on. And if worse comes to worse I can get you one and send it to you for the cost.

gijoe said:
I went to my local paint supplier and bought this big rubber wheel that fits on a drill. Thats what is made for so it will not hurt the paint. I then buffed out the paint and applied some good wax and done. If you need any further info and can call my local shop and ask more information from them, who makes it and so on. And if worse comes to worse I can get you one and send it to you for the cost.
I've had good luck when using those, however, a hairdryer will work quite well (it will heat up just enough of the adhesive so that you can remove the striping). Follow up with a adhesive remover to remove any of the lines and then wax it and you should be set.

A little easier than the hair dryer would be a heat gun like this:

HGunNik4.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47269

It gets hotter, but not hot enough to hurt the paint. This will remove it much faster than a hair dryer and have other uses later such as removing adhesives, curing body filler, etc.

mharrison said:
A little easier than the hair dryer would be a heat gun like this:

HGunNik4.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47269

It gets hotter, but not hot enough to hurt the paint. This will remove it much faster than a hair dryer and have other uses later such as removing adhesives, curing body filler, etc.
I take it you've never seen someone bubble their paint? That will get hot enough to light a cigarette........we use one at our shop to remove dealer stickers and pinstripes. The reason I suggested a hair dryer is because i don't want to see him bubble his paint or have to go spend money on something he'll most likely use only once.

i think i'll do the hairdryer trick or the wheel trick cause we use a heat gun at work to cure epoxy, and to cure epoxy you need to exeed 300 degrees, and it takes about a few minutes, i think it would probably get to hot for my tri-coat kashmir painted baby. a heat gun would be more for removing tint. thanks guys

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!! I hope IM not too late....My grandfather owns a body shop and they get these things they call e-racers ...I know you can get them at bodyshop supply stores....Its easy to remove no heat or mess......I hope it helps....

I've used a heat gun many times to remove stripes and decals and yes, I imagine if you leave it in one spot long it would bubble the paint. I've never tried that. I guess the Hair Dryer would be safer advice to give when you don't know the individual.

Heck, when I removed the pinstriping on my old vehicle all I did was get one end up and just peel slowly away till I reached the other end. Maybe yours isnt wanting to come off that easily, I dont know. I removed the gunk left behind with a bottle of mineral spirits on a microfiber rag just taking it right off, never even touched the paint. Looked great!

gijoe said:

Again this is the safest way to remove pinstripe or stickers. Hands down.

gijoe said:
Again this is the safest way to remove pinstripe or stickers. Hands down.

Though it may be pretty safe I doubt it to be the hands down safest way to remove pinstripes and stickers. What is less abrasive than merely pulling it off by hand? Then remove the little bit of sticky gunk with mineral spirits or other paint friendly gunk remover.

Members online

No members online now.
Back