Power Steering Pump

strapp

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My pump is dying. Do I need to purchase anything other than the power steering pump itself from Rock Auto?

My pump is dying. Do I need to purchase anything other than the power steering pump itself from Rock Auto?

I'd get a new pulley. You're not really supposed to reuse them.

I have a remanufactured Motorcraft Power Steering Pump but there isn't a pulley on it. The link you just provided says not to take the pulley off so I am wondering why the pump I have does not have a pulley. The box it came in is a Motorcraft box and only big enough for just the pump itself. I am a bit confused as if I should press my old pulley on or buy another pump with the pulley already attached.

I have a remanufactured Motorcraft Power Steering Pump but there isn't a pulley on it. The link you just provided says not to take the pulley off so I am wondering why the pump I have does not have a pulley. The box it came in is a Motorcraft box and only big enough for just the pump itself. I am a bit confused as if I should press my old pulley on or buy another pump with the pulley already attached.

Have you checked to see if you can get the pulley from Ford? Maybe Max?

They probably don't come with the pulley because probably the same pump is used with different pulleys, depending on what car it is going on.

I have not. Just jumped in on this thread since it was relevant.

How hard is this job on an '03 LS8? It looks pretty tight, and mine is leaking.

One guy in another thread said he does most work his self and that is was really difficult. He said he recommend the dealer do it.

I've been dreading it for a while now. I have no power steering at idle though so it needs to be done. I might have an independent do it.

How hard is this job on an '03 LS8? It looks pretty tight, and mine is leaking.

Working it out takes some doing. It took me several tries, and I had the entire accessory drive, radiator, and A/C compressor removed! There's also a high likelihood of frozen bolts.

power steering pump removal (2006)

I'm in the middle of this job right now. I've been milking it for several weekends because I really hate working on this car. Anyway, the instructions in the above post are exactly the same as my Lincoln service manual. Removing the pump is not bad except for one step. That is removing the high pressure line from the pump. The $^&*#%@ :mad: thing is impossible to get a wrench or a crows foot on. Tomorrow I'm headed to Harbor Freight to buy a "sacrificial" 18mm wrench to heat and bend into shape to remove that hose. I just hope I don't cross thread that bastard putting it back together.
BTW, My replacement pump from Rockauto came with the pulley on it. I'll try and take some pics to post.
JW

Members online

Back