Price Of Tranny Flush And Key Fob Programming

Mussolini1996

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking to get a key fob programmed and flush out the tranny along with replacing the filter & gasket for my '02 LS V8. Since it looks like a dealer item only, I called the local Lincoln Stealership and was quoted $62 for programming the key fob and $190 just for the tranny flush, not even replacing the filter and gasket. I thought that was kinda high, so I called Ford. The guy there said he wouldn't charge me anything for programming the key fob, and the tranny flush filter and gasket would be $225.

My LS just hit 60k and I've read that earlier models have had tranny problems, so that's why I figured she needs a flush. Are the prices I was quoted fair, or should I hold off??? Any other options than going to a stealership???

$225 seems pricey but that's the dealership for you. I've always been under the impression the LS trans should only be serviced by Ford and only Ford since it's sealed up in some special way...could be wrong.

The key fob programming price seems about right too. They wanted $30 just to plug into my car and tell me the entry code to the keypad on the door.

I paid $180 about a year ago at the local Ford dealer for their flush. Forgot to tell them to replace the diff fluid as well...but oh well.

Ford charged me 145 for my first flush. 225 for the second one with filter change.

I was also thinking about putting in an additive in the trans fluid, such as Lucas' Stop Slip. Has anyone else had good results with something different???

No..do NOT put any snake oils/additives in there. Too many reasons to begin. The ONLY thing that should go in your transmission is what the factory recommends.

No..do NOT put any snake oils/additives in there. Too many reasons to begin. The ONLY thing that should go in your transmission is what the factory recommends.

+1

Even the Owners manual states do not use additives. Use Ford synthetic transmission fluid only.

I don't know if you have ACE Hardware out where you are, but if you do, go to them. They had a big sign on thier front window saying "We make security keys". Went in and asked about it, said it would be $70 to make a key for my LS. It was an ugly oversized ILCO brand key, but they assured me it would work, and if it didn't I wouldn't have to pay for it. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to soon. They said it was the same thing as what the dealers use. Has anyone ever gotten a key made somewhere other than the dealer?

;EDIT; Sorry, I didn't read the whole post correctly the first time. I didnt realize it was about the key fob and not just the key.

do not flush... thats when they don't work anymore.. just do a filter and fill... i have a 2000 with 67,000 miles on it and i did a filter change and fill and the tranny is working great... cost me 85 bucks!

i bought a key off ebay for 8 dollars and had a lock smith cut it for 3 dollars and it works great...

So what is the refill capacity of an '02, if I just do a filter & gasket change??? Where is the fill port???

I would really leave this up to a Ford mechanic. I'm not saying your not mechanically inclined but from my mechanic who is a good friend I have always been under the impression not to mess with the LS trans on your own whatsoever.

I've done tons of tranny flushes along with changing the filter & gasket. I need to know where the fill port is, the refill capacity, and if this is feasable. I know a tranny flush is the best because it is a entire fluid exchange, and it cleans the torque converter. I hate having my car serviced by people other than myself.

The flush requires a special tool, your transmission fluid requirements and capacity in in your owners manual. If you don't have manual you can download if from TECH ARTICLES at the top of the page next to SEARCH.

DO NOT DO A FLUSH AND FILL ON YOUR TRANNY!!!! According to my dealer, it is a lifetime fluid. doing any filling requires a special adapter for the tranny that only the dealer has. i got it done at a local goodyear dealer and they filled it by, irrc, 3 quarts. i had to take it to the dealer and they asked me why i had it done because it was a lifetime fluid. i have had problems ever since.

I didn't do it myself... I took it to a transmission shop.. you just fill till it over flows like a differentrial

if you look at the drain plug there is a little alan head bolt in the middle... you drain the pan... replace filter reinstall pan... remove the plug in the center of the drain plug... fill at tailshaft were it says FILL PLUG until it starts to leak out the plug in the middle of the drain plug (alan head bolt) . replace plug and your done

well if you don't already know that...you shouldn't be doing it your self... and if that alan head bolt is out of the drain plug you cant over fill

So I'm looking to get a key fob programmed and flush out the tranny along with replacing the filter & gasket for my '02 LS V8. Since it looks like a dealer item only, I called the local Lincoln Stealership and was quoted $62 for programming the key fob and $190 just for the tranny flush, not even replacing the filter and gasket. I thought that was kinda high, so I called Ford. The guy there said he wouldn't charge me anything for programming the key fob, and the tranny flush filter and gasket would be $225.

My LS just hit 60k and I've read that earlier models have had tranny problems, so that's why I figured she needs a flush. Are the prices I was quoted fair, or should I hold off??? Any other options than going to a stealership???

What did you end up doing???

It's funny, I need the same thing. As mentioned in the post, I had to replace my tranny a few years back. But, I got a lifetime warranty on the replacement one. The only thing is that a condition of the warranty was that it had to be flushed upon installation. The dealership also told me when I checked not to get it flushed. But with trannys I've always heard that if you've never flushed then don't but if you have then keep it up.

The funny thing is as far as the FOB well. My sister took my father's Lincoln to the dealership to "ask" about the cost if reprogramming. You know guys, those jokers did it for free and told her not to worry about it. I bet I won't get the same treatment :) I've been needing that for a while now since only the driver's door has a keyhole and on dates - it's very awkward at times not being able to open the passenger door with the key.

Members online

No members online now.
Back