Problems with new rear shocks.

GiuBru72

LVC Member
Reaction score
There was a rattle in the rear of my car and it was riding terribly, so I installed a brand new set of Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks w/ mounts (from Eddie at American Air). My old shocks (still the originals on the car) were completely shot as were the mounts. Got the new shocks in no problem, the rattle is gone, but now the car rides worse than before, slides in the rear when going over bumps AND there is this continuous squeaking noise from the rear.

Any suggestions?

Check Control bushings, toe link compensaters (front of rear lower control arm) Sway links, and see if the parking brake cable crossover is hitting in the middle (zip tie it up)
Assuming the shocks were installed properly, my guess is that you're now hearing all the other failed connections that the noise of bad shocks was overcoming

We like pics! Photo bucket works, use the

I installed the same exact thing in mine and then after nearly two years, I started hearing a squeaking sound but mine turned out to be the bushings that came with the Monroe shocks. They aren't very good. I bought some from "Energy Suspension" on eBay and they cured the problem but like mentioned above, you could have other issues besides it being just the shock bushings. Anything is better than that annoying rattle sound when the factory mounts and bushing go out. Mine also drove a lot better and I never experienced the ride you're describing.

I also bought and installed the same setup from American Air (SensaTracs and Eddie's heavy duty shock mounts) a couple weeks ago, and couldn't be happier.

Yep. You've probably got some other suspension issues. Control arm bushings, toe link bushings, sway bar bushings, etc. I had the same side-stepping over bumps problem with mine because the rear shocks and mounts were completely and utterly toast. Installed a new set of shocks (heavy duty Gabriel Gas Ryder's for a '69 Galaxie - $6 each on ebay) and cured the problem. Apparently, my bushings are still okay for the most part.

Well, just ordered MOOG toe compensator links, rear control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and have two new rear air springs to put in. Hoping all that will do the trick. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Oreilly- Moog- K8658 (commercial account $32)
That's the LCA to Body

Members online

No members online now.
Back