Questions on 2002 LSE

thetintguy

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody.... Im still in my search for an LS.

Found a real clean 02 LSE with 55K miles. I have a few questions tho.

1) The LSE's do not seem to have the wood grain steering wheel and shift knob. That sucks cause I really like those....are they easy to find, or trade for the leather wrapped with a member on the forum?

2) as Ive seen in a lot of LS's, the headlight housings have moisture inside. Is it just a bad seal on the housing?? I will be pulling apart the lights to remove the amber reflector so when I re-seal them does this solve the problem??

3) Are all of the LSE models fully loaded w/ every option?

4) Are there any drivetrain/performance upgrades to the LSE, or just the ground effects??

5) The car seemed to run/handle/and shift excellent!!! Are there any common problems I should check for when I go back to see the car again??

:D Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

-The Tint Guy.....future LSE owner???

thetintguy said:

1) The LSE's do not seem to have the wood grain steering wheel and shift knob. That sucks cause I really like those....are they easy to find, or trade for the leather wrapped with a member on the forum?

2) as Ive seen in a lot of LS's, the headlight housings have moisture inside. Is it just a bad seal on the housing?? I will be pulling apart the lights to remove the amber reflector so when I re-seal them does this solve the problem??

4) Are there any drivetrain/performance upgrades to the LSE, or just the ground effects??

5) The car seemed to run/handle/and shift excellent!!! Are there any common problems I should check for when I go back to see the car again??

ok i'm gonna reply on questions 1, 2, and 5.
1. if it comes down to it you can always get a woodgrain steering wheel and shift knob at the dealer. but i have noticed a couple woodgrain knobs forsale on here.
2. yes its just a bad seal. once you reseal the headlights they shouldn't fog up. unless you didn't do a good job on the reseal.
5. yea you should test drive the car a second time!! make sure theirs no hesitation or misfires.
other than that just do the common car purchasing researches.
and sorry i cannot comment on the lsE because they didn't even make an LSE in the year of mine.

thetintguy said:

I love my LSE and as far as woodgrain wheel and shift knob, I am pretty sure they only came on the non-sport model. As far as the headlights, check the color of the sealant on them, if its grey you may have to reseal them, if its black most likely you won't. The LSE should come with all available options. Ground effects are the only upgrade I think?? Check all service records on the car and common problems for the 00-02 were coils, they cost a lot to have them done unless you can do it yourself. Hope some of this helps.

I added the woodgrain knob and wheel to my '02 LSE. Got them on ebay a couple of years ago. I think I paid $50 or so for the steering wheel, and $30 or so for the knob.

The '02 LS is listed as the best LS to get (reliability wise) in the 2007 Consumer Reports Buying Guide. I owned a 00 LSV6 for 3 years, and can attest that I've had far less issues with the 02 than with the 00. The V8 engine and transmission have been very good to me since my purchase of the LSE back in '02.

Some '02 LSE came with spoilers (like Boomhower) and some didn't (Like mine). Definitely check for misfires or stuttering. Make sure that your HVAC is working 100% because I had a broken A/C compressor bearing when I bought my LSE.

Before the misfiring + hesitation, after you test drive it, lift the hood, if you smell oil, ask them if they did any work to it. When I bought my car it kinda smelled like oil under the hood but I figured they had just cleaned under the hood, found out 3 days later that the valve cover gaskets were leaking. Always buy a warranty, I did, you won't regret it. You'll love the car. Where's the WOOD TOWN? I'm from south suburbs.

Well, I called the salesmans cell and left a message.... Told him I would come pick it up tonight if he could do $13500. I havent heard back. They have it listed on cars.com for 14995. I think 13500 is a fair price. The cars got 55K miles. A couple light scuffs on front and rear bumpers....but otherwise excellent shape. it did not have a spoiler(thank god) lol

The Wood-Town is 'Woodstock' Im about 45-60minutes NW of chicago(pending traffic)

So do you guys think Im totally low-ballin them at 13500???? I really dont think so. Im going to stick to my guns. For what they want, Ill just get the S-Type. :)

Usually when dealerships put cars on the internet, it's their last resort, so they go as low as they can. Your odds are low on getting $1500 difference, but good luck! My buddy has had 2 jaguars, the repair costs were REDICULOUS.

yea I can belive that....but as far as I knew the S-Types were Lincoln LS's with diffrent sheet metal.
I love the LSE....but man, The S-Types are so sexy.

As far as the question about the wodd grain, I would trade you in a heart beat if the interiors are the same color. I hate the wood grain.
Ps cheack your pms

nickandersonLS01 said:
Usually when dealerships put cars on the internet, it's their last resort, so they go as low as they can. Your odds are low on getting $1500 difference, but good luck! My buddy has had 2 jaguars, the repair costs were REDICULOUS.

Not always true. Many major newspapers have deals with Cars.com, so when an ad is taken out in a paper, the same ad may appear on the web under cars.com.

What would a newspaper have anything to do with a dealership? Most dealerships around me have their own websites and link directly from cars.com.... I was told specifically and so was my friend when he bought his 350z that there was no negotiating internet prices.

Im sorry. I will clarify.

I was in the market for a second car recently. Found two on the internet.

One was a 98 M3 Convertible with 26k miles. Cockeysville, MD. Internet Price $19,990. The lowest they would go was $17,900. But they DID go lower than the current internet price.

Next up was a 1999 M3 Convertible with 78k miles. Internet price on cars.com was $15,900. (They dropped the price from the original asking price on the net of $18,900 in December). I bought it for $15,500.

Everything's negotiable. ;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back