quote for MAF replacement and struts...

MarkVa1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if this sounds reasonable - I think it's high. The car died yesterday and worked after unplugging the MAF sensor (thanks to reading this site). I'm fairly decent at doing things myself but have never dealt with struts. Did replace the steering knuckle myself a few years ago... can the MAF be cleaned and not replaced?

Replace MAF sensor and clear codes $470
Replace front struts $535
Tech noted upper control arms have play $625
Replace rear struts $520
Tech noted rear sway bar links worn and have play $235

Thanks- 2001 LS V8 sport package

Mark.

I bought Motorcraft sport shocks and two motor mounts from Autozone, then had my independent shop install all of that for a total of about $1200.

I don't know what shocks they are quoting you for, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. I do know I was quoted about $1000 to replace the shocks with Monroes before I decided to buy my own parts.

I'd get a second opinion on the UCA and sway bar links, just to be safe. It seems like suspension component diagnoses are a little subjective, depending on how much the shop wants to sell work.

just a question...
are you mechanically inclined? if so, a couple of those things are easy enough to do to cut down the cost.

the shop i work for charges out the @55 imo. they charge ~$230 to replace rear pads and lube the slides.
about $200-$250 for sway bar links on front or rear (not all 4)
idk how much the uca's should be, but they are not that difficult to put in. you have to take the shock out to do it tho.
shock/strut replacement is just expensive
make the MAF a diy and then take it to autozone or similar and ask them to clear the code, for free :). we charge 1hr just to hook up the scanner and give you a code (rip off)

I would certainly try using compressed air to blow any bugs or trash out of the MAF, and then try some MAF safe cleaner before replacing the MAF. Often, if the MAF is suddenly bad enough to kill the engine, there is a bug stuck on it.

The rear sway bar links are quite easy to replace yourself. The shocks and control arms not so much.
You'll want to make sure they're using Motorcraft Sport shocks as the replacements. If they are, then that's probably a fair price. If it's an aftermarket or the "standard" (not "sport") shock, then you probably won't be pleased.

Depending how handy you are with a wrench this is all doable in the comfort of an equipped garage.

Funny that they quote it $535 for front shocks, then another $625 for upper control arm/ball joints. If you do one the other one is not that much more work. I mean the front coil-overs need to come out to do the uca's anyway. The dealer just quoted me the same to do them on my car. No thanks I'll get to them when I can.

Members online

Back