Replaced LH Valve cover gasket on 00 LS V8!!!

fishbone1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I have been lurking here for a couple of days now. I basically found this forum out of necessity. I tackled replacing the valve cover gaskets on my wife's 2000 LS V8 without a service manual and found this forum on one of my many visits to the internet. Reading through the posts has been very helpful.
Anyone deciding to do this job please make sure you have the patience for it. It is not a hard job. It is an ANNOYING job. There is little space. Did I say there is litttle space? I mean there is almost no space to work :).. Sockets and tools that are dropped will almost never make it to the floor. I believe I spent more time trying to find dropped tools than actual working on the car. Make sure you buy the spring lock disconnect tool for the fuel line. Make sure you have plenty of 1/4" drive extensions, a swivel, a short 10mm socket, a long 10mm socket, a 7mm socket, and a small 7 mm wrench, and a whole lot of patience. I will be back soon. I am sure.

Greetings! I'm glad the operation was a success, and I hope the patient doesn't reject the donor organ.

My worst wrenching experience was replacing an exhaust manifold on an '00 V6 Mustang. What you described sounds even worse than that.

Um, why did you dissconnect the fuel rail? Did you do the drivers side too?

I got lucky, just my passenger side was screwed up, the drivers side was clean as could be. I still have the gasket in the bag sitting in front of its bay as a threat to the car! I just had two bad coils. The #5 was *really* bad, no oil, just electrically toast.

kleetus said:
Um, why did you dissconnect the fuel rail? Did you do the drivers side too?

I got lucky, just my passenger side was screwed up, the drivers side was clean as could be. I still have the gasket in the bag sitting in front of its bay as a threat to the car! I just had two bad coils. The #5 was *really* bad, no oil, just electrically toast.

LH is driver's side and that fuel line gets in the way of the oil fill tube.

oh that's lovely... as if there isn't enough crap in the way... I did find that by taking the cowl out that hides the wipers, it makes it a heck of a lot easier to hit the back bolts though...

fishbone1 said:
Hello All,
I have been lurking here for a couple of days now. I basically found this forum out of necessity. I tackled replacing the valve cover gaskets on my wife's 2000 LS V8 without a service manual and found this forum on one of my many visits to the internet. Reading through the posts has been very helpful.
Anyone deciding to do this job please make sure you have the patience for it. It is not a hard job. It is an ANNOYING job. There is little space. Did I say there is litttle space? I mean there is almost no space to work :).. Sockets and tools that are dropped will almost never make it to the floor. I believe I spent more time trying to find dropped tools than actual working on the car. Make sure you buy the spring lock disconnect tool for the fuel line. Make sure you have plenty of 1/4" drive extensions, a swivel, a short 10mm socket, a long 10mm socket, a 7mm socket, and a small 7 mm wrench, and a whole lot of patience. I will be back soon. I am sure.

Hey I would like to know where you bought this tool, spring lock disconnect tool, and the approx cost. I am about to do my V6 and not certain if I need to disconnect the fuel line.

eL eS said:
Hey I would like to know where you bought this tool, spring lock disconnect tool, and the approx cost. I am about to do my V6 and not certain if I need to disconnect the fuel line.

I think I paid about $20.00 at Autozone. It's been years though. If you look at my pics, you can see it looks cheap...because it is! My friends and I call it the magic tool as it works so well and there is no other way to get those fuel lines apart. :)

Hello kleetus, Dutch, lsbit, and eL eS,
I picked up a set of 4 different sized tools at autozone for under $10. I can post a pic later today. The oil fill tube was the reason I needed it. I hope the gasket works. But if it doesn't I know I can do the job again. I really like the car, but it is a pain to work on.
I have found a couple more problems that I would like to discuss later. Gotta go! the wifey is calling.

fishbone1 said:
Hello kleetus, Dutch, lsbit, and eL eS,
I picked up a set of 4 different sized tools at autozone for under $10. I can post a pic later today. The oil fill tube was the reason I needed it. I hope the gasket works. But if it doesn't I know I can do the job again. I really like the car, but it is a pain to work on.
I have found a couple more problems that I would like to discuss later. Gotta go! the wifey is calling.
Here is a pic of the set of disconnect tools.
toolfuelline.jpg

directions.jpg

Yep.. I think I have the same set. You don't need them often, but when you do...

I tried to figure out a way to pull those damned fuel lines for over an hour before I gave up and went looking for tools. Tools are great!!!
Has anybody here had water in their trunk or water leaking in their right door?

fishbone1 said:
I tried to figure out a way to pull those damned fuel lines for over an hour before I gave up and went looking for tools. Tools are great!!!
Has anybody here had water in their trunk or water leaking in their right door?

Passenger front door? Yes... running down the A post. I'm guessing its from the moon roof drain? Trunk, not yet...

kleetus said:
Passenger front door? Yes... running down the A post. I'm guessing its from the moon roof drain? Trunk, not yet...

Yes, it runs down the A pillar and collects in the door pocket. :Bang

I haven't had that much water come in. Last week we had some pretty serious rain up here, before all the snow. The water only made a track about 4 inches down the pillar, and would drip more than run. Fortunately, I had a passenger that was keeping the water from hitting the seat.

When it rained for 3 or 4 days straight I had about an inch of water in my passenger side door pocket. My wife uses this car to haul around real estate customers so I need to keep it in good working condition.

fishbone1 said:
Yes, it runs down the A pillar and collects in the door pocket. :Bang

I've had that happen on the driver's side door, soaked my checkbook I had in there. I cleaned the gasket around the door (had some dirt) and never had a re-occurence.

Where was the dirt, up high in the gasket? How in the heck did dirt get all teh way up there?

Members online

No members online now.
Back