Ring and pinion upgrades for 2000 LS v8 sport????

Reaction score
Just wanted to know if anyone knew what ratios the rear end comes with? I think its an 8.0 Ford but not sure wanna get some taller gears. any info is appreciated
thanks
ET3 Justin McLaughlin
US COAST GUARD :L

PICS WILL BE POSTED SOON>>>
Front rear headlight eyebrows, Lowered on springtech springs, 255/45/17 on stock rims, drilled slotted front and rear rotors, "Wild Bills" Catback exhaust with Dynomax mufflers and 3.25" tips (sounds sick>>more hp than magnaflow too) eliminates resonators ... email me for info
Denso Iridium plugs.

The LS comes stock with an 8.0 3.58 gear. As far as I know, there isn't an upgrade. I actually work at the plant that makes the rear axle for the LS's, and all Ford cars for that matter, so I'll check in the gear lab and find out for sure.

Anything else I can help you with, just drop me a line...

-Chris

Hey, Venture...

Why did you post what you posted in reply to this thread? Doesn't seem to have anything to do with what he asked...

Strang.

The 3.58 rear end was used in the V8 LS' Until June of 1999 (2000 production line), after it was changed to a 3.31 and remained 3.31 until october of 2002 (as the 2003 production line). As for the V6, with a stick its a 3.07, with the auto its a 3.31.

As far as i know, there are no taller gears that will fit the ls/thunderbird rear. I am planning in the future to swap my 3.31 out for a new set of 3.58, but for the $370, plus install kit (crush sleeve, fluid, modyfier, ect.) and the time involved, i dont think it will be worth it. It is such a minute change i dont think i would notice a difference. It would be about the same a dropping a series (1/2inch or so) off of your stock tire size.

Yeah, what mikepietras04 said.

There's a fellow member on LLSOC who started a project on adding a torsen LSD to a 3.58 LS rear from a boneyard. Seems to me the carrier app was for a Cobra IRS (8.0"?), which the LS gears fit, but something about the pig (housing) is unique that doesn't allow other 8.0" gears to fit properly, thus limiting your choices to the above mentioned ratios. There's also another possibility that one of the Jag models has a higher ratio that would fit.

I got lucky, my LS is one of the early 3.58 geared V8s.

mikepietras04 said:
The 3.58 rear end was used in the V8 LS' Until June of 1999 (2000 production line), after it was changed to a 3.31 and remained 3.31 until october of 2002 (as the 2003 production line). As for the V6, with a stick its a 3.07, with the auto its a 3.31.

As far as i know, there are no taller gears that will fit the ls/thunderbird rear. I am planning in the future to swap my 3.31 out for a new set of 3.58, but for the $370, plus install kit (crush sleeve, fluid, modyfier, ect.) and the time involved, i dont think it will be worth it. It is such a minute change i dont think i would notice a difference. It would be about the same a dropping a series (1/2inch or so) off of your stock tire size.

The V6 auto has the 3.58 rear. The manual does indeed have a 3.07.

LS4me said:
The V6 auto has the 3.58 rear. The manual does indeed have a 3.07.

The V6 auto has always had a 3.58 and not a 3.31? I dont mean to argue, or say you are wrong but have you looked at the stamping on the pumpkin to verify this?

mikepietras04 said:
The V6 auto has always had a 3.58 and not a 3.31? I dont mean to argue, or say you are wrong but have you looked at the stamping on the pumpkin to verify this?

And I've talked to the guys that designed them. If a V6 (auto) has a 3.31, someone other than the factory put it in.

Members online

Back