roaring noise from the front end

Mass-HoleLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a loud whirring/roaring noise coming from my front end(left i think), and it has been doing it for a while. I originally thought that it was just my drilled and slotted rotors being loud, but the other day I noticed that the sound almost completely goes away when I turn right and gets much louder when I turn left. I figured I would post and see what people think i might be before I start buying parts? The wheel bearings? Any help is much appreciated.

thanks,

Mass-holeLS

I am experiencing the same issue but on the right side, I think its the wheel Hubs, I found 1 brand new for $60 so I am going to try that.

Good to know, I am not gunna be able to work on it for a while so if you get it done anytime soon let me know how it goes. Its kind of annoying cause I have to crank up my radio all the time.

Thanks,

Mass-holeLS

I've had one wheel bearing to fail (a roaring noise was the only symptom) on my 04.

Is it possible that whatever wheel it is with the problem will have some play as the bearing is worn?

Is it possible that whatever wheel it is with the problem will have some play as the bearing is worn?

I would suspect so, if you let it go long enough. Eventually, that wheel falls off, and then there is a lot of play.

I would suspect so, if you let it go long enough. Eventually, that wheel falls off, and then there is a lot of play.

Lol, he's right!

Been there, done that, twice with the roaring bearing in the front hub. Didn't lose a wheel though. Mine did the same thing, turn to the right, the noise subsides. Very annoying.

Yea I should get on that. Its been doing it for a while, Like I said I thought it was the drilled/slotted rotors humming.

Thanks,

Jay

Wheel bearing. In fact, I have one that needs to be replaced right now. Even have the new one sitting on my desk. Just keep forgetting to bring it home.

Weird thing about the bearings though, is it is tough to tell just by listening while driving. you almost have to jack up the car (or put it on a lift), remove the wheels, and check them by spinning the hub. Mine you can actually feel the grinding.

I have one that needs to be replaced right now. Even have the new one sitting on my desk. Just keep forgetting to bring it home.

jeeze, you better get off your lazy @ss and change it before your pretty paint need to get redone because the wheel f'ed up the fender as it flew off :D

Yep that sounds like a wheel bearing going bad. I've replaced one a little over two years ago. Had the same roaring noise. It had gotten so bad that the wheel was actually leaning in and rubbing against the metal splash plate behind the rotor. Sounded like something was stuck between the wheels. Took to a shop and the guy said he was surprise that the wheel hadn't came off. I was like :eek:!

Is it worth just replacing both while im at it? What are the chances that the other one is on its way out too?

Is it worth just replacing both while im at it? What are the chances that the other one is on its way out too?

From what I've heard and experienced, no.

The one that I had to replace on my 04 probably 30 or 40K miles ago, and so far no issues from the other side.

Good thing I kept this thread in mind. My 06 just developed the same problem (steer left - roar, straight/steer right - quiet).

Safe to drive around to/from work a couple of days? Just cannot afford the time to get it fixed just yet.

I drove on my bad bearing for 2 weeks. Not saying you should do that, but I did.

I drove on my bad bearing for 3 months...prior to replacing it this weekend it had no play at all when I wiggled and spun it, but it had a slight grinding sound. Sound went away though so problem solved.

Most likely front wheel bearing. noisy when going straight but growls when you turn one direction and gets a little more quiet when you turn the other direction. Left front just went bad on my '03 LS. Made noise for about a week and figured I better change it before more damage occured. It's hard to say how long they will last, had one on my SHO making noise but the genius at PEP Boys told me my tires were to fault and needed new tires. I knew they had plenty of tread so I figured they could kiss my butt. Drove the thing for 4 months and around 3k miles and it never failed. Just got noisier so I took it to the shop.

Members online

Back