Saving one from the car crusher

$500_Mark_VIII

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 1994 "country yard find" was missing (from an engine performance standpoint). Tried the SeaFoam (into the vacuum line) and put some fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank. No good. Got new plugs and plug wires installed yesterday. BINGO!!! Purrrrrs like a baby kitten now. Awesome weather yesterday, took her out cruising with the windows down and loved it. BTW, the A/C does blow cold and out the right vents.

Let's see....so within the last month since purchase for $500, Spring/Strut conversion kit, new tires, brake rotors and ceramic pads all around and one front caliper and bracket, air filter, plugs and plug wires?????? Yeah, honey....I'd say....we got about $700 in it (smirk). Paint next week. I'll post pics of the transformation once paint is done. Great to save a Mark VIII from the car crusher.

Congrats on your save. Always cool to bring them back from death row :D.

I saved this blk/blk 93 from the boneyard earlier this year my self. I had to replace the fuel tank, sat for 8 yrs w/a full tank and bad pump, fuel filter, and front air struts. All parts I had from u-pic-it and a wrecked parts car. So far about $1,000 in it. Still need to do some color sanding, buffing, and a little body work.

Before

DSC00324.jpg

DSC00342.jpg

After

DSC00440.jpg

MVC-015F.jpg

this was my $500 find. before she could be roadworthy i had to put in new windsheild, tranny and TC, coil conversion, brakes and tuneup.

before:
27403550001_large.jpg

27403550002_large.jpg

27403550004_large.jpg
\

Now:
27403550044_large.jpg

27403550045_large.jpg

The headlights were interesting on that one....
are you going to keep the hood ornament on it?

i already switched hoods to one from th J/Y with no ornament.

the hood with the ornament is going to get cut up and fiberglassed to accept a functional shaker scoop ive been making

Fun Times!

It was perfect weather for working on the ride! The car does run good, of course we had to take if for a little ride after tuning it up :D

Ya'll are insprirationas. Go Fast great job on the engine compartment. Repaint of the enging covers or mega cleaning???? Or both I guess.

For those that don't know....Duck is my father-in-law and my "leader" with this project. He purchased a 1993 last year and has been restoring it. I told him to find me one and I would do one too....Damn if he didn't call me about a week or so later and said...Craigslist.....within 30 minutes of home.....Thanks again for the help. Been out driving most of the day. Loving the ride.

Ok reviving an old thread for a question. There's a 94 Mark VIII near me that they are asking $800 for. The front seats looked trashed, and they say the air ride is bad ( not sure how bad). I am trying to trade them straight up for some wheels I won a few months ago, so it'd be free to me. My question, if all I gotta fix is the interior and the suspension, and it needs paint, is this a worth while car to get into??
It'd be a project/toy/extra car. But eventually would become my DD so my Mustang can be more the toy.

For 800 sure. A conv kit isn't that expensive, seat skins will be fairly cheap too depending on color. Paint I wouldn't even worry about. If it runs and drive why not, but be prepared to sink more money into it.

I got my LSC for $600. I bought a '97 Sport TBird for $500 with a blown engine & new tires/battery.

The LSC got springs, battery, tires, LCA/UCA, vac lines, and some other parts off the parts car. I put new plug wires on the LSC and had to use the tranny off the parts Bird for my DD TBird.

I've been parting out the Sport TBird for several months and have sold about $3000 worth of parts off it. So basically, after all the expenses I got my LSC for free and used another $600 from the fund to buy a new Affinity front loader clothes washer for the house.

So far, so good. I'm keeping my eye out for another parts car now - preferably a Mark VIII, but I'll take another 97 Sport if I can find one. Keeps my rides on the road!

Y'all have done very well with your rides; they look GREAT! Merry Christmas, everyone!

For 800 sure. A conv kit isn't that expensive, seat skins will be fairly cheap too depending on color. Paint I wouldn't even worry about. If it runs and drive why not, but be prepared to sink more money into it.
Thanks....I think the seats were tan or grey, was hard to tell. I'm not worried about putting money into it, its for the fun of it after all.

With snow on the ground I couldn't get a good look all around it. Anything I need to look for specifically that would say "walk away"?

If you are starting at essentially free, there is not anything that would put me off of it. Have you heard it run? I wouldn't go over $400 for a car if I can't hear it run. I assume the motor is blown until then.

If you are starting at essentially free, there is not anything that would put me off of it. Have you heard it run? I wouldn't go over $400 for a car if I can't hear it run. I assume the motor is blown until then.

Its at a local dealer. Says the motor and tranny work great. Will go check it out better after the holidays. I think they're closed at least til Wednesday. I just drove over and took a quick look this morning but it was covered in frost and snow so didn't get a great look. I'm hoping they go for the deal, the wheels I'm offering are actually worth more than $800. Will see...keeping my fingers crossed, I always wanted a Mark VIII.

Its at a local dealer. Says the motor and tranny work great. Will go check it out better after the holidays. I think they're closed at least til Wednesday. I just drove over and took a quick look this morning but it was covered in frost and snow so didn't get a great look. I'm hoping they go for the deal, the wheels I'm offering are actually worth more than $800. Will see...keeping my fingers crossed, I always wanted a Mark VIII.

Interesting. Didn't know dealerships trade for wheels. :shifty:

If they do, that's news to me.

Keep us posted, love to help you out. Post a few pictures up of it if you can, Then we can give you a good opinion on it.

That's in rough shape, not worth more than $500-$600 tops. I'd save for a little while and get one with less work. It looks like just air ride but probably needs a whole new front suspension amongst other thing that was probably not taken care of.

TTL in addition to $975 will bring that car to about $1300. I would steer clear of dealers . They probably have no clue about that car. Probably only drove it from the auction to their shop. I would be willing to bet they paid $500 for it. I don't know if that is your only choice, but there are more in better shape for less out there. That is a $400 car in my book.

I wouldn't pay more than $500 - $550 tops. Being it's a dealer they are not going to go any lower than $700 & the sad part is someone will indeed buy it for that much. Is the car worth saving? Sure, why not but it's not worth giving a stealership $$$ to make them richer. $450 for a coil conversion & the car is back on all 4's but then you have to see how the front end is, any leaks, new paint, etc... Again, $550 out the door is the most I'd invest.

Members online

No members online now.
Back