Sirius/navigation/thx Question

BUCKEYE LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, question regarding the Sirius install on older LS's.....I have an '02 that I was looking to upgrade to the factory SAT ready unit, i love the new ones on the '06 with the all-in-one integrated Navigation/THX/Sirius system like they show on Lincoln website. My question is whether or not its possible to swap out my old Alpine unit with this new factory system?? Some of the older threads have touched on this and said it wasnt possible, but my question is how its not? Im sure some of the wiring is different and what not, but nothing the old checkbook cant fix?? Any help on this subject would be great (also does anyone have any good pics of there 2006 navigation/sirius stock system??) im a new poster, but ive been reading for a while.....Thanks in advance!

I believe it is possible, but the cost is prohibitive. You would need to spend around $3,000 or so, and that’s before labor. That is why most people have gone aftermarket.

If you have wads of cash upgrade to a 2006, or a used 2003+. I got my 2004 with 35k miles for 21k. It has every option but the rear park assist.

Terry, I got your PM. Thanks. I thought I'd respond here instead of sending you another PM.

Jonathan is right, it will be a very difficult and expensive job to replace the radio on a 2002 model (which wasn't even designed for the THX system) and fit in an 06 THX head unit and all the other components to make the system work. I think you may be underestimating the level of sophisticaton and integration the THX/Nav system as inside the car. First, keep in mind, the components for the system are scattered throughout the car. The main amplifier is in the trunk, and so is the DVD reader for the map software. The speakers are all different, and the microphone for the voice activated systems is in the rear view mirror. The main GPS antenna is buried in the dashboard somewhere. If a GPS signal is not available, navigation is done by dead reckoning and requires computer comparison of the vehicle speed to the mapping software, so there is a system that measures vehicle speed and integrates it into the navigation system. The steering wheel controls are all different, and are specific to the THX/Nav/voice activation systems. These are just a few of the systems I can think of off the top of my head. There are probably more.

Given all this sophistication and integration, I think its really going to be difficult to do a retrofit.

From what i have read the change from 02 to 03 also changed the cars computer "language", which means a '06 head unit would have no ability to talk to your '02 wiring & computer. I guess this is where the expense comes in, but i dont even think its possible honestly. I think you'd get alot better quality by going aftermarket anyway.

I would like to do this but not activating the nav.The only thing that i would love to do is to have the screen lid and play cds and basic radio no sat or navi just to have an OEM Screen :D

Yea, i guess i was being overly simplistic in thinking I could swap out for the new Navigation and stuff in the '06, but what about just upgrading to the 03/04 or whenever the SAT began?? If you go to this link: http://evisteon.com/prod_serv/mobile_electronics/products/satellite_radio/index.shtml You will see a head unit that looks almost identical to the one in my 02 but it has the satellite option, im wondering if this would be an easier conversion and there isnt all the GPS, Navigation stuff, etc. I know it would require some work but who knows, maybe give Visteon a call. Thanks everyone for response and let me know what you think about just this option!

In mid '04 (apparently, about the time the SAT option was added), Lincoln changed the wiring harness where the audio system connects. By all reports, there is no feasible way of installing a HU from after the changeover in a pre-change car. The main problem, as I understand it, is that the connectors are simply not availble, so you can't make adapters without butchering an existing harness.

And, as mentioned previously, the LS switched to the CAN architecture in 2003, so even if you could get a SAT-ready factory HU to connect to a pre-'03 LS, you probably wouldn't be able to use the steering wheel controls.

BTW, nobody's saying it can't be done, just that it's not feasible. With all the expense and labor involved, you're simply better off going with a better aftermarket head unit; it'll generally cost less and provide you with better results.

I would like to do this but not activating the nav.The only thing that i would love to do is to have the screen lid and play cds and basic radio no sat or navi just to have an OEM Screen

aserrano said:
I would like to do this but not activating the nav.The only thing that i would love to do is to have the screen lid and play cds and basic radio no sat or navi just to have an OEM Screen

I still think you're going to run into many of the same issues. I honestly think it would be just as cheap to trade up to a car that had it from the factory as it would to try and integrate any or all of it to your car.

it cant be that hard to make the screen turn on for basic functions like CDs and radio nothing else

aserrano said:
it cant be that hard to make the screen turn on for basic functions like CDs and radio nothing else

Oh yes it can!! Get a factory wiring diagram of the THX system and the one you now have. Even the speakers are wired and powered differently. I think you'll be amazed at the differences.

BUCKEYE LS said:
I would like to upgrade LS but no stick shift available post-02!

If that's your only concern, I'd venture a guess it would be much less expensive to convert the newer LS to a manual than to try to retro-fit the THX/NAV.

The "screen" is just that. The video for even the radio and cd is driven from the trunk unit. If you cut the RGB wires between the trunk unit and head unit NO PICTURES AT ALL on the screen. That's how we get the DVD video solutions to work. Seriously, this has been covered 10 times before.

Members online

No members online now.
Back