Sirius Satellite Install

tlaprade

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've checked the past posts about these installs and am just looking for some tips and clarifications. I'm buying this unit:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conte...s/CachedPage&c=ProductAsset&cid=1126670694040

I'm looking to install it where the ashtray is, built-in. I saw that someone on here has done this and am just looking for steps as to how he did it.

-Where do you run the antenna wire and where's a discrete place to mount it?
-What type of adapter did you get for the cigarette adapter and how exactly did you set that up?
-How is the unit actually held in place?

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

tlaprade said:
I've checked the past posts about these installs and am just looking for some tips and clarifications. I'm buying this unit:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conte...s/CachedPage&c=ProductAsset&cid=1126670694040

I'm looking to install it where the ashtray is, built-in. I saw that someone on here has done this and am just looking for steps as to how he did it.

-What type of adapter did you get for the cigarette adapter and how exactly did you set that up?

I don't think that one will fit where I did mine, but here is what I did:

Removed the ashtray trim, ashtray and ashtray mounting bracket (IIRC, a 7mm socket.

Test fit the Sirius unit into the ashtray bracket. Then I broke out Mr. Dremel and tore carefully into the bracket, test fitting the Sirius unit regularly. I had to remove quite a bit of material. The unit just pressure fits in the mount.

I used a P.I.E. adapter to integrate the unit into my radio. I hard wired the unit to a 12V source from the radio.

I put a small piece of Velcro on the bottom of the antenna and "mounted" it on the rear deck. I ran the wire behind the back seat trim and under the carpet on the passanger side of the car, up to the back of the dash.

P6040708.JPG

PIE adapter

Where did you get this adapter and how do you get behind the head unit, where are the screws?

tlaprade said:

Well, mine isn't perfect but here's an idea.

MVC_001S.JPG

MVC_004S.JPG

I purchased the bracket off ebay and did mine
As for the 12v source I but a two way cig lighter and cut it and hard wire it to a 12 source under the dash and pluged in the plug and I ran the wire around the rubber trim on the back window and down in the trunk and thru the backseat down the carpet and up the back of the glove box....You cant see any wires..... The bracket I bough I had to trim alittle off the bottom to get the wires behind it without being able to see it.....The little box under the reciever is for the 6 disc DVD

tv.jpg

sirius.jpg

tlaprade said:
Where did you get this adapter and how do you get behind the head unit, where are the screws?

I don't remember where I got the P.I.E. adapter. You can access the screws after removing the upper air register and the ashtray assembly. There are 4 (IIRC) 8mm bolts.

steering wheel controls

Does anyone know if you can use the steering wheel controls with the Sirius Starmate and if so what adapter would allow this, would the PIE? Also, in order to use an antenna modulator, would it fit this one offered at Circuit city

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SIRI...24111/catOid/-13091/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

If I purchased this, would it just easily plug into the back of the Alpine 6 disc in-dash unit on an '02 LS or would I need to buy another type of adapter. Thanks in advance.

tlaprade said:
Does anyone know if you can use the steering wheel controls with the Sirius Starmate and if so what adapter would allow this, would the PIE? Also, in order to use an antenna modulator, would it fit this one offered at Circuit city

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SIRI...24111/catOid/-13091/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

If I purchased this, would it just easily plug into the back of the Alpine 6 disc in-dash unit on an '02 LS or would I need to buy another type of adapter. Thanks in advance.

I have the Starmate and the steering wheel controls don't work. The PIE adapter adds function to the radio. Push CD a second time and you can access that function. It's hard to explain, but once you have it installed, it makes sense. If you use the PIE adapter, you won't need to use the FM modulator. I have the antenna (came with the unit, IIRC) mounted on the rear deck. So far, no real reception issues.

***PIE adapter***

Does anyone know which on to get, and where? I am looking to install my XM in and hate the RF modulator. I found few, but they appear not to be for the Alpine Sport Radio.

LS4me said:
I have the Starmate and the steering wheel controls don't work. The PIE adapter adds function to the radio. Push CD a second time and you can access that function. It's hard to explain, but once you have it installed, it makes sense. If you use the PIE adapter, you won't need to use the FM modulator. I have the antenna (came with the unit, IIRC) mounted on the rear deck. So far, no real reception issues.

How exactly does the PIE adapter plug in, what does it connect to exactly?

Satellite radio install

The PIE adapter plugs in to your head unit & then your head unit plugs in to your PIE adapter. You need to "Pull the radio" to do this, search posts for detailed instructions. If you can't find this, I or someone can give you detailed directions. It is not that bad. The tricky part is getting the radio back in with the harness from the PIE adapter. It looks like it will slide right back in, but you need to play with it, goint back & forth and moving the harness a little to get it to fit. I got a US Spec brand adapter from Crutchfield for a good price, This one gives you two sets of RCA inputs in case you want to add an iPOD or somehting. Crutchfield also sends you instructions with photos for installing.

You need to get a Little Fuse brand Add a fuse to tap in to your fuse box, unless you think that you'll have room with your installation to use the lighter plug in the ashtay. To make room for the Add A Fuse in the fuse box cover, I had to take some snips (I used wire cutting snips) & trimmed away most of the webbing insde of the cover.

I don't have anything to offer on your ashtray install, but I can tell you that I have been happy with the VSM mount coming out of the side of the headunit.

I have my antenna mounted in the center of the roof in the front, which looks fine, and is easy to wire to. If I remember correctly, there is a hole in the door jam just big enough to feed the cable through and hide behind the glove box. I mounted the RCA input adapter box adatper deep under the dash (but accessable) on the paasenger side. As mentioned previsouly, it is pretty cool when you toggle the meida switch on your steering wheel, & your sateillite radio comes on.

Installed my Sirius Clarion Plug-n-Play and, I have to admit, its pretty convoluted. I pulled out the ashtray and pushed the drawer assembly back in. I then cut a piece of heavy black plastic so that it fit tightly over the entire area and up underneath the bottom lip of the AC controls. I mounted the cradle to the plate with screws provided and slipped the contraption into place. I popped the woodgrain back into place over it and it's totally snug. (It's dead-center, even though in the picture, it doesn't appear that way.) I wired in a dual lighter power unit- used one for the player and allowed the other to peek out from underneath the dash for my cell phone charger. (The antenna is in the center of the rear deck and reception is very good.) My criticisms are that the shifter knob is pretty close to the unit when in park and it slightly obscures the bottom of some of the AC buttons; but I like the center-mount a lot and it can be taken back to "before" in about ten minutes. (Next project: wiring in the audio.) Here are a couple of pictures. (By the way, the antenna is mounted on the rear deck, just behind the brake light- reception is good.)

LSClarion1.JPG

LSClarion2.JPG

Members online

No members online now.
Back