Snow tire wheels

cobra_1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Question about wheels for snow tires. I can't find any steel wheels, so what other cheap wheels could I get to mount snows on?

I am looking for 16" I have 17" chromes with 255/45s.

I would like 16's with 215/60's

Any suggestions? Any other wheels from other cars fit?

Cheap!!!

Thanks,
Lonnie

Ive never been able to find a steel wheel that could clear the front brakes on my car, ive tried a few diffeent places. So i went to a salvage yard and lucked out and found a nice set of 17 inch chrome wheels that came off a lincoln for $100. Definatley was my lucky day. They arent the coolest looking wheel but dont really care for winter wheels. So i sugest checking local junkyards.

go to the salvage yard and look for the cars with a full size spare...they are black powdercoated 16's with 215/60's on them

go to the salvage yard and look for the cars with a full size spare...they are black powdercoated 16's with 215/60's on them

I teied to do this a few years ago but could not find enough of those full size spares to use. Those wheels came off a Jaguar if I remember correctly and look really cool. If you get some you will have to look at 2000's and 2001's as I think they went to a small spare in 2002. (I might have my model years wrong here.) The tires should work wekk as they are a M+S tire. I like this idea and now there should be a number of these with low miles in junkyards. Keep searching ebay and you might find a bargain. I got a set exactly like this off an '03 a few years back for my winter wheels for about $225.00 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories They work great.

They made 16" wheels for the LS (they're interchangeable across all years of the LS), and you should be able to find them at a fairly inexpensive price. The LS's bolt pattern is fairly common among Fords and Volvos; the biggest problem you'll find is that the LS's offset is quite a bit different than theirs, and brake caliper clearance can be an issue.

FWIW, I just checked FleaBay, and someone appears to have decided that they're made of gold ($200 for a 16" LS OEM wheel? Really? :rolleyes: ), but there are quite a few listed.

If you get some you will have to look at 2000's and 2001's as I think they went to a small spare in 2002.
They switched from a full-size spare to a donut spare in '01. The donut spares were sized to the stock wheels--the spare for my '04 was a 17" donut spare, IIRC.

The LS's bolt pattern is fairly common among Fords and Volvos; the biggest problem you'll find is that the LS's offset is quite a bit different than theirs, and brake caliper clearance can be an issue.

I know the bolt pattern is a 5x108mm what is the offset anyone know so I can look for that as well.

Thanks for all the input. I live in Wisconsin and last year was okay with the wide tires on as long as there wasn't much snow, but a couple of times it was unsafe to be out and about. Hence the search for snows. Tires I can get for about $100 a tire or less from Tire Rack, I don't want to have more money in the wheels than the tires.

Lonnie

I know the bolt pattern is a 5x108mm what is the offset anyone know so I can look for that as well.
The LS's offset is 60mm. AFAIK, the only other cars with the same offset and bolt pattern are the Jag S-Type and the '02-'05 T-Bird. Most of the others are closer to 30mm.

Members online

No members online now.
Back