Speaker static/no sound after headunit and speaker replacement.

BigUziLinc

LVC Member
Reaction score
94 mark viii with JBL +phone + cd changer

Hi everyone, after having my stock headunit say "BAD" on it and not having it work, I replaced it with a newer single din and also replaced all the 6x8 speakers in the meantime and not touching the tweeters. The outcome is that I get no sound whatsoever and if I crank the volume up up then I will start to hear loud crackling and static come from the speaker that matches the song beat/tempo. Thinking the amplifier had gone I replaced it with a an amp that was working (with sound only on passenger side) prior to removal. The result was the exact same as the other amp.

What gives? Are both amps just broken in the exact same way? I'm trying to keep the stock amp in place as I just wanted some somewhat cheap tunes and nothing too special until both the amps blew and I would pay up or spend a weekend rewiring it all.

Here's some more info about the install and troubleshooting I did after the headunit said "BAD"

-Prior to the headunit going bad I only had sound from the passenger side and I could hear the driver rear speaker thump/vibrate at bassy music bits at higher volume, replaced the amp but same result. Then few months after the headunit died.
-Change all the 6x8 speakers with new infinity reference ones using metra 72-5512
- Install the headunit to the original harness with the Metra 70 5510, the rca cables that lead to the 8 pin connections were garbage and didn't fit properly so I spliced the +/- ends into their wiring respectively
-Test the new system with amp#2 that was in place already - static, crackling at high volume and nothing at low volume on passenger side of car with the rear driver speaker having a slight thump from the music at higher sounds. Amp#2 was in the car prior to everything and I still only had sound on one side before the headunit pooped itself.
-Use electric contact cleaner and clean the amp contacts/ headunnit contacts
-Replace amp#2 with amp#1 which was the original amp with the car and prior to removal worked fine but I still only had sound on the passenger side, hence the removal and trying to fix with amp#2 that the previous owner had provided with the car sale. - same result as amp #2
- That leads to now where I put back amp#2 in the car and cleaned off the amp connections and unplugged the cd changer in the back and still the same crackling and static.
-With both of the amps in place I did change the position of where the RCAs were plugged in and all it changed was the EQ and its adjustment with the same absolute no sound from drivers side, crackle and popping at higher volumes from passenger side

Help us understand better "Install the headunit to the original harness with the Metra 70 5510, the rca cables that lead to the 8 pin connections were garbage and didn't fit properly so I spliced the +/- ends into their wiring respectively." So you installed an aftermarket head unit and are trying to use the factory amplifier. What didn't fit right with the RCA cables? Did you connect the remote turn on wire and confirm it's getting power when the headunit is on?

-Rod

Just to clarify all the power cables fit perfectly. So the power, ground, illumination and amp power etc. That’s with the 1x8 connector had no issues at all.

I just ended up splicing the rca out cables from the head unit directly into the low level cables that occur in the 2x4 square connector.

Also as an update if I remove the ends on the rca connectors and tap them with my fingers I can hear the passenger side rca cable taps clearly from the passenger speakers

At this point you might almost be better off to get an amp bypass cable and just run your speakers off of the headunit's built in amp, unless it's low level only.

-Rod

I heard that the bypass cables don’t work without tinkering and also the head unit wants the speakers wired individually and not in parallel (as it is in oem) so I would have to rewire at that point.

Oh yeah, that is kind of weird that the rear and door speakers are in parallel and then all 4 tweeters have an independent channel from the amplifier. But maybe the rear and door speakers are either 6 ohm or 8 ohm, so in parallel they would still fall within an acceptable range for car audio headunits.

-Rod

When I put in a dbl din unit in mine, I wired the standard low level wires into the OEM amp and taped off the RCA ones. The OEM amp runs great. No issues for years now but I did put in new speakers as well.

Members online

Back