Speed Sensitive Wipers - not Rain!

ke4unr

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just discovered these are standard issue on the '06 LS. I've never driven a vehicle with these and am curious. Sounds like a good idea on paper, but so did the moisture sensor wipers. Does anyone have any experience or information on these?

And of course, now I'm wondering if it would be possible to install them on an earlier model year. Would it mean new wiper motors, or just a sensor module install? Hmmm...

00' LS Wipers

My 2000 came with rain sensitive wipers, and yes they are moisture sensitive. sitting still in the automatic carwash the change speeds when the washed goes from front to back. you could probably go to any local salvage yard and find one with the hardware. an easy way to tell if the car has it, look at the wiper control mine says auto:cool:

ke4unr said:
I just discovered these are standard issue on the '06 LS. I've never driven a vehicle with these and am curious. Sounds like a good idea on paper, but so did the moisture sensor wipers. Does anyone have any experience or information on these?

And of course, now I'm wondering if it would be possible to install them on an earlier model year. Would it mean new wiper motors, or just a sensor module install? Hmmm...

Speed sensitive wipers have been standard issue on the LS since mid-2004.

What information do you want to know? The wipers wipe faster as the car increases speed. That's about it.

ToddG said:
Speed sensitive wipers have been standard issue on the LS since mid-2004.

What information do you want to know? The wipers wipe faster as the car increases speed. That's about it.
Well, I took the time to search here and other sources before posting, so thought I had my bases covered. Sorry about that!

I have an '04, but guess it was built before the Speed Sensitive Wipers became available as standard equipment. Nothing is mentioned in the owner's manual, and my wipers don't react to the speed of the vehicle. They are "plain jane" intermittent wipers.

I've read posts here in the past about the Moisture Sensing Wipers that folks are not too fond of, and have since been discontinued. I was hoping to get an idea of how anyone felt about the Speed Sensitive ones - good, bad or ugly?! Like I mentioned, it "sounds" like a good idea. I was just in rainy, stop-n-go traffic recently. Constantly adjusting the speed of the wipers. So when I discovered what I thought was a new item for the LS I thought I'd see if anyone knew if adding it to my car was "do-able" and worthwhile.

Btw, love the speed sensitive steering and radio volume!

this option was removed for all LS 04 and beyond, this was due to the fact that alot of owners was complaining about it, they didnt know how to operate it so they where thinking that the option was malfunctioning and they brung there cars to the dealers so becouse of this the higher ups decided to remove it and have regular wipers instead. but of the complaints from the users where operator error for some reason they didnt notice the AUTO setting and was wondering why the wipers was going faster ( DUHHHHH ) :eek:

ke4unr said:
Well, I took the time to search here and other sources before posting, so thought I had my bases covered. Sorry about that!

I have an '04, but guess it was built before the Speed Sensitive Wipers became available as standard equipment. Nothing is mentioned in the owner's manual, and my wipers don't react to the speed of the vehicle. They are "plain jane" intermittent wipers.

I've read posts here in the past about the Moisture Sensing Wipers that folks are not too fond of, and have since been discontinued. I was hoping to get an idea of how anyone felt about the Speed Sensitive ones - good, bad or ugly?! Like I mentioned, it "sounds" like a good idea. I was just in rainy, stop-n-go traffic recently. Constantly adjusting the speed of the wipers. So when I discovered what I thought was a new item for the LS I thought I'd see if anyone knew if adding it to my car was "do-able" and worthwhile.

Btw, love the speed sensitive steering and radio volume!

I don't think you can add speed-sensitive wipers to your car. However, I believe many of your issues will be resolved once you learn to work your MOISTURE-SENSITIVE WIPERS!

On the 2004 LS, early build units have moisture-sensing wipers but the later build units have speed sensitive wipers. Since you say your wipers do not react based on speed, you must have an one of the few 04 models that still had the rain-sensing wipers. You can tell if you have moisture-sensing wipers if there is a big black block behind your inside rearview mirror -- that's the moisture sensor.

I note that the description of the moisture-sensing wiper system was omitted from the 04 owner's manual. Because I'm a nice guy and its Christmas, here's the relevant section from the 2003 owner's manual:

Moisture sensitive wipers (if equipped)

The moisture sensitive wipers will automatically activate when moisture
is present on the windshield and the multifunction switch is set to one of
five Auto sensitivity settings. The five Auto sensitivity settings determine
how often the wipers will wipe based upon the moisture on the
windshield. Rotating the knob from the Auto position towards the
windshield selects a higher sensitivity and more wipes will occur. For
fewer wipes, select a lower setting. The wipers will continue to wipe as
long as the presence of moisture is detected on the windshield. The
number of wipes that occur will vary based on the amount of moisture
detected on the windshield and the Auto setting. The sensitivity to
moisture is automatically increased at night. When the ignition is turned ON, the wipers will perform one wipe if one of the five Auto settings is selected.

Hopefully that will clear things up for you.

The moisture-sensing wipers on my 2003 work pretty well -- better at highway speeds, less so in stop and go traffic, but overall I like them a lot.

As to how I "feel" about speed sensitive wipers, well, they disgust and offend me. :D

BTW, ke4unr, the color of your car is Light French Silk Metallic, not Pueblo Gold.

[Dang, how did he know that??? :cool: ]

ToddG said:
BTW, ke4unr, the color of your car is Light French Silk Metallic, not Pueblo Gold.

[Dang, how did he know that??? :cool: ]
Well, color me clueless. :confused:

But I guess Ken Garrison didn't get the memo either. Borrowed from his web site:
This is the OEM grille that comes on the 2004-2005 Lincoln LSE. It features a color matched exterior perimeter that matches the stock color codes of these Lincoln LS's:

-Black (UA)
-Vivid Red/Redfire (G2)
-Silver Birch Metallic (JP)
-Light Tundra (DV)
-Ceramic White (F6)
-Cashmir Tri Coat (G4)
-Charcoal Beige (T7)
-Dark Cherry (HH)
-Pewter Metallic (HJ)
-Pueblo Gold (G3)

But then, I don't believe everything I read. :rolleyes:

One of you is telling me it is no longer available, the other saying that it is and that I'm a bit dense when it comes to operating them.

Wellll, let's see if we can drill down a little further and come up with a consensus. I brought along some illustrations...please observe.

I have what appears to be a sensor module behind the mirror. However, there is nothing on the left (wiper) stalk other than the OFF, Intermittent and Low/High positions. Trust me, the Low/High are there, but don't show in the photo.

Perhaps I have a "stealth" AUTO setting? :D

100_0144b.jpg

100_0143b.jpg

do you have the THX/navi becouse i thought that was the GPS antena on the first pic - i checked on my LS and i do have a 04 ultimate and i have the same - no AUTO setting, i even gave it the benefit of a doubt when i went home it started to rain and i left the wipers on the first setting i accelerated from 30 to 65 and the wipers didnt go any faster or slower.

chocolat1701 said:
do you have the THX/navi becouse i thought that was the GPS antena on the first pic - i checked on my LS and i do have a 04 ultimate and i have the same - no AUTO setting, i even gave it the benefit of
No, I have the Audiophile/SoundMark 6 CD system.

But now that you mention it, I thought the GPS antennas were mounted on the trunk deck. I don't know that for fact, but have seen photos of GPS equipped LS's with it mounted there. Could be aftermarket (?).

The reason I'm interested is, just this week I tried using my handheld GPS in the LS. I normally keep it in my other vehicle. But it fit nicely in one of the cup holders and I was surprised how well it worked. I didn't need to open the shade for the moon roof to let it have a better view of the sky.

But! If that is indeed a GPS antenna, might there be a MCX connector somewhere easy to get to? I could try hooking it into my handheld to see if there are any improvements (better accuracy).

Thanks for verifying that not all '04 models have moisture or speed sensitive wipers systems. :)

100_0145b.jpg

Ke4unr, thanks for the photos. Two points to make about those. First, the module behind the rearview mirror is a lot smaller than the one I have on my 2003 with moisture-sensing wipers. Secondly, the wiper control stalk is exactly as illustrated in the 2004 owner's manual. The omission of an "Auto" designator on the stalk is pretty good evidence you do not have the moisture-sensing wipers. Based on the info you've provided so far, I'd say you have the speed sensitive wipers, but (1) they are malfunctioning, or (2) they are operating properly but you have not observed them working as speed changes. One experiment you may want to try would be to set the wipers on the most sensitive intermittant setting (the longest tick mark, right below Low) and see how the wipers behave when you are stopped, going 20 MPH, and going 60 MPH. If the system is working properly, you should see decreased delays between wipes as your speed increases.

On the paint color, Ken has it wrong. Sort of. Paint code G3 goes by two different names, one for Fords (Pueblo Gold) and another for Lincolns (Light French Silk Metallic). Same paint and code, but different names based on car line. Go figure. However, since you ARE driving a Lincoln, I suggest you use the Lincoln paint name for clarity and consistency. :D

no AUTO setting, i even gave it the benefit of a doubt when i went home it started to rain and i left the wipers on the first setting i accelerated from 30 to 65 and the wipers didnt go any faster or slower.

Choc, I assume by "first setting" you mean the detent right above OFF. That's the least sensitive setting. Do your experiment on the highest sensitivity setting (longest tick mark right below "Low") and see what happens.

ToddG said:
Choc, I assume by "first setting" you mean the detent right above OFF. That's the least sensitive setting. Do your experiment on the highest sensitivity setting (longest tick mark right below "Low") and see what happens.
yup your right, i will try it on the highest setting and see what happens...

ToddG, it will be easy enough for me to determine if my speed sensitive wipers are functioning correctly next rain day. The last time I was driving in foul weather I was unaware of the speed sensitive system, so it very well could be that I overlooked the not so obvious.
ToddG said:
On the paint color, Ken has it wrong. Sort of. Paint code G3 goes by two different names, one for Fords (Pueblo Gold) and another for Lincolns (Light French Silk Metallic). Same paint and code, but different names based on car line. Go figure. However, since you ARE driving a Lincoln, I suggest you use the Lincoln paint name for clarity and consistency. :D
I'm certainly game for using the correct, as in Lincoln's, name for the paint color. However, every source I've been to calls code G3 as Pueblo Gold for an '04 Lincoln LS. Paintscratch, Dupont, etc., to name a few. Are you allowed to reveal your source? No matter, I will be visiting the dealership's body shop this next week for a new front bumper, so I will certainly ask for the "official" name.

Do appreciate your help! :)

Are you allowed to reveal your source? No matter, I will be visiting the dealership's body shop this next week for a new front bumper, so I will certainly ask for the "official" name.

Sure. The Order Guide for 2004 shows paint code G3 being a new color called Light French Silk Metallic. Pueblo Gold is nowhere to be found.

ToddG said:
Sure. The Order Guide for 2004 shows paint code G3 being a new color called Light French Silk Metallic. Pueblo Gold is nowhere to be found.
Todd, that's good enough for me.

"Would you please pass me a slice of that Light French Silk?"
Mmmm....sounds much better! :D

I have an 04 LS Sport. It does not have speed or moisture sensitive wipers. I have the 04 factory service manuals and wiring diagram. None of these mention moisture or speed sensitive options for the wipers. My info is that moisture sensitive was dropped after the 03 model year. If speed sensitive is available now, it was not available in 04. The little box behind the mirror is the sensor for the compass.

ToddG said:
Not according to Ford's 2004 Paint Code Guide:

http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?2004-ford-pg01.jpg

The G3 is Pueblo Gold. Ford may have renamed it from prior years. Also, when ordering the LSE grilles from Ford G3 is Pueblo Gold.

GrayGhost1 said:
Not according to Ford's 2004 Paint Code Guide:

http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?2004-ford-pg01.jpg

The G3 is Pueblo Gold. Ford may have renamed it from prior years. Also, when ordering the LSE grilles from Ford G3 is Pueblo Gold.

Yes, you are correct, Ken. G3 is Pueblo Gold in the Ford lineup as shown on your Ford chart. But the same color and code goes by Light French Silk Metallic in the Lincoln lineup. Why they have two names for the same darn paint color is anyone's guess -- it only adds to the confusion! I believe they did the same thing with Vivid Red (Lincoln) and Redfire Metallic (Ford) -- both with the G2 code. And I think there are three names for Tungsten!

ToddG said:
Yes, you are correct, Ken. G3 is Pueblo Gold in the Ford lineup as shown on your Ford chart. But the same color and code goes by Light French Silk Metallic in the Lincoln lineup. Why they have two names for the same darn paint color is anyone's guess -- it only adds to the confusion! I believe they did the same thing with Vivid Red (Lincoln) and Redfire Metallic (Ford) -- both with the G2 code. And I think there are three names for Tungsten!
You can call it ToddG Gold for all a painter cares. All they need is the paint code. G3 is still G3. It's a FORD paint code and a painter will mix the paint according to the Ford paint spec. It is six and one-half dozen of the other. And you are correct, I have seen Vivid Red and Redfire and they are both G2. Same color paint regardless what you call it.

ToddG said:

ToddG i did just like you said and i even did it on all the markers and no change, i went to the dealer for my oil change and i asked them and they confirmed that the speed sensitive and rain sensetive wipers where droped for the 04 but they where a few first year production 04 that has them but if you have a leter production one you dont have them.

The window sticker from my '06:

Disclaimer: This window sticker is only representative of the information contained on an actual window sticker, and may or may not match the actual window sticker on the vehicle itself. Please see your retailer for further information.

Vehicle Description VIN 1LNHM87A16Y 615635
LINCOLN LS 2006 LS V8 SPORT
3.9L 4V DOHC V8 ENGINE
5 SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION Exterior
DARK CHERRY CC METALLIC
Interior
BLACK TRIM PEFORATED LEATHER FRNT SEATS

Standard Equipment INCLUDED AT NO EXTRA CHARGE

EXTERIOR
. 17" 5-SPOKE MACHINED
ALUMINUM WHEELS
. P235/50 VR17 BSW TIRES
. FOG LAMPS
. HEATED PWR MIRRORS W/MEM
. BODY COLOR BUMPERS W/ BODY
COLOR LICENSE PLATE SURR
. DUAL EXHAUST W/ CHROME TIP
. CHROME GRILLE
INTERIOR
. PREMIUM DUAL MEDIA RADIO
. 5 - PASS LEATHER SEATING
. REAR SEATS-60/40 FOLD DOWN
. 8-WAY PWR DRIV ST W/LUMBAR
. 6-WAY PWR PASS ST W/LUMBAR
. AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL
. REAR A/C & HEAT DUCTS
. PWR. TILT/TELE STEER. WHL

. LEATHER WRAPPED STR WHEEL
W/ AUDIO & CRUISE CONTROL
. ELECTRONIC MESSAGE CENTER
FUNCTIONAL
. SPORT-TUNED SUSPENSION
. 4-WHL DISC BRAKES WITH ABS
. REMOTE KEYLESS W/KEYPAD
. AUTO DIM REARVIEW MIRROR
. UNIV. GARAGE DOOR OPENER
. SPEED SENSITIVE WIPERS
SAFETY/SECURITY
. DUAL STAGE FRONT AIR BAGS
. TRACTION CONTROL
. PERIMETER ALARM W/ LED
. SECURILOCK ANTI THEFT SYS
WARRANTY
. 4 YR/50,000 MI WARRANTY
. 12MO/12K COMPLIMNTRY MAIN
. 24-HR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE

Price Information MSRP
STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $39,285
Click here for Simple Plan Price Info

Key Standard Equipment
ORDER CODE 225A - V8 SPORT
ALL-SPEED TRACTION CONTOL
DUAL ZONE TEMP CONTROL
SHIFTER/STEERING WHL LEATHE

Optional Equipment
2006 MODEL YEAR
DARK CHERRY CC METALLIC
BLACK PREM LTHR SEAT SURF
.3.9L 4V DOHC V8 ENGINE
.5 SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION
.P235/50VR17 ALL-SEASON BSW
HID HEADLAMPS 595
PREMIUM PACKAGE 2,795
.WOOD APPLIQUE
.SHFTER/STEER WHL-WOOD/LEATHER
.POWER MOONROOF
.HEATED/COOLED FRONT SEATS
.ADJ REAR HEAD RESTRAINTS
NAVIGATION/THX (6DISC) AUDIO 2,995
SIDE AIR CURTAINS 545
MEMORY ADJUSTABLE PEDALS 195
EXTENDED REAR PARK ASSIST 295
PEFORATED LEATHER FRNT SEATS
TOTAL BEFORE DISCOUNTS 47,365

PREMIUM PACKAGE DISCOUNT
TOTAL SAVINGS -775

TOTAL MSRP $46,590.00
SIMPLE PLAN PRICE* $43,808.59
LESS CASH BACK ($3,000.00)

Disclaimer: Option pricing will be blank for any item that is priced as 0 or "No Charge".

This vehicle qualifies
for auto insurance discounts,
call 1-866-367-3131 or visit
www.fordautoinsurance.com
for availability in your state.

Estimated Annual Fuel Cost:$1,800 CITY MPG
HIGHWAY MPG
25 Vehicle Engine Information
2006 LS SPORT SST 3.9 LITER ENGINE (FEEDBACK FUEL SYSTEM) 8 CYLINDERS, FUEL INJECTION CATALYST, 5-SPEED SELECT SHIFT AUTOMATIC TRANS.
Actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between 15 and 21 mpg in the city and between 21 and 29 mpg on the highway.
For Comparison Shopping all vehicles classified as MIDSIZE have been issued mileage ratings from 10 to 60 mpg city and 14 to 51 mpg highway.

Ford Extended Service Plan is the ONLY service contract backed by Ford and honored by over 5,100 Ford and Lincoln-Mercury retailers. Ask your retailer for prices and additional details or see our website at www.Ford-ESP.com

*Available on all new 2005/2006-Model Lincoln Mercury vehicles (excluding Milan and Zephyr). Prices exclude tax, title, license and dealer fees. Customers must take delivery from participating dealer stock by January 3, 2006. See dealer for complete details.
**Cash back may include bonus cash and may require Ford Credit Financing. Not all customers will qualify for Ford Credit Financing. Lease cash back may vary. Must take retail delivery by January 3, 2006. Additional incentives may apply. See dealer for complete details.

IMHO, your's are malfunctioning.

Members online

No members online now.
Back