Sport or Non-Sport

V-8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
How do you tell if you have a sport or non sport model?

If the bumpers don't have a chrome insert, it's a sport. Also, sst is only available in sport. If you have a 00-02', just see how fast it can go. If it passes 133 you've got a sport.

SurfjaxLS said:
If the bumpers don't have a chrome insert, it's a sport. Also, sst is only available in sport. If you have a 00-02', just see how fast it can go. If it passes 133 you've got a sport.

Cool, so i have the sport. No chrome, and i have the SST too....

Thanks!

manual

The 5 speed manual only came in sport.
To sum up the differences:
No chrome on the bumpers, sport shift if auto, 17" by 7.5 rims (five spoke) versus 16" by 7 (6.5 maybe), firmer shocks.
Did I miss anything?
I guess the speed limiter is different but I have not verified. What are we saying 133 on non sport and none on sport?
I speak for the Gen 1 on the wheels, some gen 2 owners will have to chime in about their wheels.

I dont think that any gen Is had a limiter. I think the limiter only applies to Gen IIs.

'03-'05 also had these wheels stock. Sport models only. The car below is an '05 Sport LS8.

Sport, by going off my car, sst, v8, no chrome on bumpers. Speed limiter at 133, possible for all gen II's. Makes no sense to call it sport, then throw a speed limiter on it.

Okay..
Yes Gen I's have Rev Limiters in them. IDK About speed limiters though. I think The Sport Model of the V8 had a higher speed than the Stock V8 non sport did..
Anyways

Sport
_____

No Chrome on bumpers. Leather Shifter and Steering wheel. Speed Limiter Removed (I think). Stiffer Suspension. SST Electronic shift. Sport Silver Wheels

*V6 Sport had 5 Speed Man Transmission*

Non sport
________

Part Wood Steering Wheel. Wood Shifter Knob. Sloppyier/Squishyer Suspension. Speed Limiter. Chrome on Bumpers.

Yep thats about all the differences

Non sport
________

Part Wood Steering Wheel. Wood Shifter Knob. Sloppyier/Squishyer Suspension. Speed Limiter. Chrome on Bumpers.

Yep thats about all the differences

There is a premium sport, and it does have the part wood steering wheel and shifter knob.

There is a premium sport, and it does have the part wood steering wheel and shifter knob.

+1. It was possible to have a premium sport which still has the chrome on the bumpers. It would also have the 5 spoke 17" rims in chrome, "perforated" seats, and the woodgrain steering wheel and shifter knob as you mentioned.

Also, I believe the Sport had the 3:58 gears vs 3:31, bigger front sway bar and the oil cooler and came with a supercharger.

Also, I believe the Sport had the 3:58 gears vs 3:31, bigger front sway bar and the oil cooler and came with a supercharger.

They did a good job hiding it under the plastic engine cover. Doesn't even have a whine to it.

The speed limiter was due to the tire rating. Because the tires on the Sport are not rated so as to cause a problem (my '02 Sport came with 17" rims and Michelin Pilot Sport tires) the limiter was non-existent. Top speed on my car, minus the spray, is beyond 150, and I hold the Maxton (one mile) record in class at 140.106.

KS

Mine has 3.07:1.

This has been discussed many, many times before. The manual is the only stock Ls with a 3.07 gear.

All other V6's have the 3.58.
MOST V8's have 3.31; the others have 3.58.

I dont think that any gen Is had a limiter. I think the limiter only applies to Gen IIs.

nope, my 1st gen non sport had a speed limiter, and it was lower than my 2nd gen sport's

Just to clarify in 2000 there was a premium sport package. With all the trimmings chrome in bumpers v6 and pollished 16" wheels. The 17s in that year were an option, over and above any other package
package. I have that car so I know it exsists.

Just to clarify in 2000 there was a premium sport package. With all the trimmings chrome in bumpers v6 and pollished 16" wheels. The 17s in that year were an option, over and above any other package. I have that car so I know it exsists.

My bumpers dont have chrome, and i have 17s, but its not a sport model :(

Just to clarify in 2000 there was a premium sport package. With all the trimmings chrome in bumpers v6 and pollished 16" wheels. The 17s in that year were an option, over and above any other package. I have that car so I know it exsists.

I did the VIN check to see what my car was and got a sport model. It had the leather shifter, chrome on bumpers and polished 16" wheels... I always get confused because I keep seeing that the sports didn't have the chrome on the bumpers in 00.....maybe its just me.

I did the VIN check to see what my car was and got a sport model. It had the leather shifter, chrome on bumpers and polished 16" wheels... I always get confused because I keep seeing that the sports didn't have the chrome on the bumpers in 00.....maybe its just me.

I have a 02 and chrome and when I did a check it was a sport model.... But when I look at my bumper it has square side markers not the rounded ones..

Members online

Back