Steel or Aluminum Underdrives?

MarkVIII93

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My brother has an 87' mark and he doesnt know whether to get steel or aluminum underdrive pulleys.

I shied away from them on mine, but I would go with steel. The aluminum isn't really that much of a weight difference when you think about it. Save a few bucks and get the steel underdrives

Black87LSC said:
...The aluminum isn't really that much of a weight difference when you think about it...

It is a big difference when you are considering a rotating mass. It's the same concept as driveshafts and wheels. If he's going to spend the money, he might as well get us much as he can out of the deal and go aluminum. I personally think he should start on mustang forums and pick up a cheap used set.

Rotational mass does increase as Josh said. If he has an upgraded sound system, I'd get an overdrive alternator pulley. I know for my stereo with a 40w RMS x 4 and a 120w x 1 channel amp, I am on the low side of charging when at idle with stock pullies. Some people have had cooling issues using underdrives. A small upgrade would be a Mustang crankshaft pulley. It's a smaller upgrade, but it'd probably have less of an effect on your charging and cooling systems.

you can get the mac pullies are good
i think they come in red, blue,alum and blk

america is great - choices

i have alum on, looks great
new alum water pump,alt,elect fan set up,

soon chrome intake.

call xl motorsports see if the have what u want.

Members online

Back