Stereo diagnosis help please...

Johnmatthew13

LVC Member
Reaction score
:confused: OK so my head unit turns on. As I turn up the volume slowly, the right side speakers come on at about 1/4 volume, the left side at about 1/3 volume, then a little past 1/2 volume everything comes on and sounds fine. Also popping at power on and off. The cd changer (trunk) will load the carrier but will not turn on with the head unit controls. Is this more than likely just the head unit or a problem with the entire system? Would apprieceate any input from your expeiriances before I trash the whole system and go broke buyin a new one... Thanks. 1993 VIII w/23,000. been sittin in the garage for 6 yrs...

Its most likely the AMP. They are prone to failure. It *could* be the head unit, but thats less likely. However, if so I think I have one that works that I can give you, just cover shipping. Something to keep in mind.

How do you test the AMP? Well, no easy way unless another Mark with the same system (there are two versions) is around to do a swap with.

Its most likely the AMP. They are prone to failure. It *could* be the head unit, but thats less likely. However, if so I think I have one that works that I can give you, just cover shipping. Something to keep in mind.

How do you test the AMP? Well, no easy way unless another Mark with the same system (there are two versions) is around to do a swap with.

Thanks alot, i plan on going over as much as possible tomorrow, will let you know what i figure out.

Mine has exact same symptoms. I ignore it, as its only a nuisance at low volume. Only thing i was able to cure was an annoying 'hum' and cutting out - solved that by disconnecting the phone module.

my stereo goes on once in awhile otherwise there is nothing but a crackling sound and even when the radio is off and the power is off with key out it still makes a crackling sound,anybody????what do I need a new radio??I have the one disc radio no casset

Trash the whole thing and do an aftermarket system. It will be more reliable in the long run. The radios in the single din Gen 1's were crap. I messed with mine in my first Gen 1 so many times before I gave up and just did a whole rewire of the entire system. Even if you go in search of another factory amp or replacement radio, you will most likely have the same problem. Unless of course you are trying to maintain that stock look for some reason.

I have a factory amp outta a 97 if you guys need one... just took it out a month ago and it worked just fine... I'd only charge you the cost of shipping... so PM is you're interested... but I agree with Gman... gut and put in a new system... for 650 I got a REALLY nice sounding system that I've gotten a lot of compliments from... I did shop around A LOT!!.. but it was way worth it!! and these cars are pretty easy to set up... I had two friends that never installed a stereo in their life helping me... sure they just stripped and ran wires for me but it took around 8 hours for all new speakers two amps and a sub... all new monster cable wires and the whole nine... do yourself a favor if you're gonna wanna keep this car at least upgrade the deck and amp!

I went over everything today and it's got to be an internal problem with the head unit, amp, or both. I will just deal with it until I can afford to start replacing parts...starting with the head unit. Thanks

ur pm box is full

I have a factory amp outta a 97 if you guys need one... just took it out a month ago and it worked just fine... I'd only charge you the cost of shipping... so PM is you're interested... but I agree with Gman... gut and put in a new system... for 650 I got a REALLY nice sounding system that I've gotten a lot of compliments from... I did shop around A LOT!!.. but it was way worth it!! and these cars are pretty easy to set up... I had two friends that never installed a stereo in their life helping me... sure they just stripped and ran wires for me but it took around 8 hours for all new speakers two amps and a sub... all new monster cable wires and the whole nine... do yourself a favor if you're gonna wanna keep this car at least upgrade the deck and amp!

find out how much to ship to 60634(in chicago)maybe I'll take you up on that,it mite solve my promblem cause I have no money for a after market tunner at this time,and I have no tunes

Would an amp outta a 97... work in a 93?... I'm sure it can't be more than 20 bucks to ship... but then with how everything's goin up who knows... but yeah I'll find out for yah... it's just been sittin around since I pulled it..

That's what I got... the JBL system with all components... if that's what you're asking... replaced them with some polks and infinities... oooh it just sounds awesome :D

Just finished installing a new head and the 4 speakers. Was not planning on rewiring the speakers, but the amp bypass from Crutchfields did not match up with my amp connectors.
Figured the new wires would be better anyway. The biggest pain was removing the door panel for the first time, second one was easier.
I learn alot each time I do something to the Mark, and saving money at the same time.

Well that beats that idea out... the doors panels I thought were really easy to pop off... a lot easier than any chevy doors I've tried I hate those little plugs they use... break too easy... and the back seat comes out so smooth... I was suprised... the hardest thing for me was running 4 gauge wire to the back of the car... that was tough... but the rest was pretty simple... i even ran all 10 gauge monster speaker wire to all the speakers... totally worth it if you can get a HU... start with that and work your way up... I think you'd be happier in the long run

Members online

Back