Still need Trans help!

ShadyLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 lincoln ls V8 with a harsh shift into reverse and harsh shift from 3-4. I have a spare LS I use for parts that has a good trans, but i don't want to swap transmissions if its not necessary. Any input from you guys would help
Thanks,
~Shady

You should really update your prior threads instead of just creating new ones.

It's hard to see what you have done or haven't done.

You should really update your prior threads instead of just creating new ones.

It's hard to see what you have done or haven't done.
Sorry, just i really need to fix this problem as i have been at a loss for quite some time. I cant seem to find any information anywhere on what is the problem, only many what "could be" the problem. I haven't changed anything since my last post. I want to know from other people that had this problem so I can find out exactly what needs to be done to fix it.

Sorry, just i really need to fix this problem as i have been at a loss for quite some time. I cant seem to find any information anywhere on what is the problem, only many what "could be" the problem. I haven't changed anything since my last post. I want to know from other people that had this problem so I can find out exactly what needs to be done to fix it.

Without a proper diagnosis, i.e. dealer or competent transmission (NOT AAMCO!!) shop, all you will get here is ""could be" the problem."

Without a proper diagnosis, i.e. dealer or competent transmission (NOT AAMCO!!) shop, all you will get here is ""could be" the problem."

Yes, and I think that his other thread ran though those fairly well.

his point was that somebody already gave you the things you should try, you should try those before going any further...

the only other thing I would try (after any of those has been done) would be to put the new trans in.

his point was that somebody already gave you the things you should try, you should try those before going any further...

the only other thing I would try (after any of those has been done) would be to put the new trans in.
That might be the best way to go, i found a write up on how to remove the trans, but is there anything I should know before putting it back in? Does it need to be cleaned or anything? Is there something I should replace on the trans? Should a shift kit be installed? Anything helps, thanks.

Alright, well the trans i could swap in is in good shape. But is there anything i should do to it before reinstalling it? Cleaning, replacing parts, etc.?

I'm curious why you would go straight to the hardest most expensive job? Why not try the suggestions in your other threads?

I'm curious why you would go straight to the hardest most expensive job? Why not try the suggestions in your other threads?
Just seems like the best option. It wont be expensive, I already have a spare trans.

And if it's the pcm you're willing to waste hours of labor?
In my other thread I was told the PCM needs to be the same year, which its not because its an 04. Also it said that a PCM problem is rare in terms of causing shift problems. This makes me lean towards thinking its a mechanical issue. Which if thats the case, swapping transmissions would be the best option as my transmission would have to be dropped anyways to work on it because I already tried replacing the solenoid pack.

Also, be aware that the PATS will not let you start the car after you swap the PCM until a dealer or someone will a really good scan tool marries the replacement PCM with the cluster (PATS) and your keys (must have at least two).

Also, be aware that the PATS will not let you start the car after you swap the PCM until a dealer or someone will a really good scan tool marries the replacement PCM with the cluster (PATS) and your keys (must have at least two).
Exactly, thanks for the heads up. Seems like more of a hassle to do that rather than spending a weekend swapping transmissions. So I think that might be my best option. What do you guys think?

I think it sounds like a pcm or vb problem, but with how long it's gone on you might have done damage.

Granted it is filled correctly. And all other probable causes are dealt with like a new solenoid pack.

I think it sounds like a pcm or vb problem, but with how long it's gone on you might have done damage.
Is there any tests I can do to determine if its a vb or pcm problem without having to go to a dealer?

It's an hour's shop time to diagnose. Probably 100 bucks. I replaced my shift solenoid on advice from this board and it did not fix my shifting issues, but then that is on me because these folks can only offer advice based on what is posted on a problem.

Really though, even the dealer may not help. The experiences I've had with my local Lincoln dealer have been less than stellar. They can't find parts for the car and every time I go in they try and talk me into getting work done somewhere else. Worked too, next time I need anything including a new car I'll be going somewhere else even if I decide to buy another Lincoln (which isn't looking good as they only offer FWD and SUVs). So far as parts go, I've had better luck with the local Jag dealer getting parts, for the engine anyway.

It's an hour's shop time to diagnose. Probably 100 bucks. I replaced my shift solenoid on advice from this board and it did not fix my shifting issues, but then that is on me because these folks can only offer advice based on what is posted on a problem.

Really though, even the dealer may not help. The experiences I've had with my local Lincoln dealer have been less than stellar. They can't find parts for the car and every time I go in they try and talk me into getting work done somewhere else. Worked too, next time I need anything including a new car I'll be going somewhere else even if I decide to buy another Lincoln (which isn't looking good as they only offer FWD and SUVs). So far as parts go, I've had better luck with the local Jag dealer getting parts, for the engine anyway.
Looks like me and you are in the same boat then haha. Have you since found the transmission problem?

Members online

No members online now.
Back