Subs distorting using Line Converter off back 6X8 on Audiophile

Cameron

LVC Member
Reaction score
02 LS Audiophile

I put in a line converter feeding off back 2 6x8 wanna be subs...sounded good for 2 months and suddenly it distorts. Not just my subs but the factory ones to.

Replaced line converter and nothing changed-

Factory amp or what?

could be factory amp. could also be your aftermarket amp and/or head unit. Or it could even be the line converter. You'll have to use process of elimination.

I'd be surprised if it was factory amp as the line converters have extremely low impedance so they draw very little power off the amp...unless of course something shorted out in the line converter and then fried the amp.

It is not the line converter, I bought a $45 bullet proof fancy line converter today and it sounds 100% the same.

Both my 6X8 and subs have an identical distorted sound...I'm not sure what to think...

loose ground? Maybe the subs are out of phase? Do the factory sound bad with the subs, line converter, and amp disconnected?

TheRebel said:
loose ground? Maybe the subs are out of phase? Do the factory sound bad with the subs, line converter, and amp disconnected?

Yep I just went out and disconnected amp and line converter and hooked directly-

Sounds like crap...the lows are hitting at 70hz or so and rattle-

What do you mean out of phase? I don't get it :p

Thanks man,

Cameron

out of phase to my understanding would be when the factory subs are coming in and the aftermarket are going out. Making them 180 degrees out of phase and make crappy sound. l read about it on a crossover I used to have that had a phase switch. Anyways I would take a meter and make sure the factory amp is grounded good. Also make sure that the speaker wire connectors are good and secure on the 6X8. How did you connect the line converter? If you used scotch locks it is possible that they cut the wire to thin and now the speakers are not getting enough juice. Did you splice in after the amp to the speakers or before the amp. I'm sure you've checked all of this but other than those things I would think the amp is screwed. Sorry I can't be of more help. We have some pretty good stereo guys lurking around here somewhere that will hopefully chime in soon. Beaups is also pretty good with diagnosing electrical problems on the LS.

out of phase usually just causes weak bass and wouldn't happen "suddenly"

Members online

Back