SWEET mechanics and LMS Exhaust

Fro99

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I go into Midas (yeah, i know there was my first mistake) and start asking if they will install my LMS XX-Pipe and mufflers and take him the pic that Geno supplied.

After telling me that he could not do any set up like this he said would probably be $1000 for the pipes to get hand bent and get welded like the picture. He then proceeded to tell me that there was no way that those were 2.5 in pipes and and that there was no room and that they were 2x 1 inch pipes and that the stock pipe was better then this set up.

so then he tells me what he can do he said he would chop off the 3 cat and the other thing right next to it (resonator or something) and put in a y pipe of course he told me that the H-pipe (yea its XX-pipe i though, haha) i had was UN-needed. keep the stock pipe running back and the cut off the mufflers and then weld on the new ones and he wanted about $300 for that

My question is this guy is an idiot right? So I should not get it done there and that set-up would not be the same power? I only ask because I cant find anywhere that will even look at doing it, but i think i need just take it down to Milwaukee or something i guess.

My question is this guy is an idiot right?

Obviously.

$1,000 for pipes? Are they made of gold? Hell, you could probably install the stuff yourself with a hacksaw and a couple of $10 clamps if you really had to. Just so you know, Midas is typically not considered a "reputable" exhaust shop. I'm surprised he even said that he'd fab up some pipes; most Midas' only do OEM replacement, equivalent, or repair. They typically don't don't do custom chops, so he was probably trying to jack you on the side.

Take it to a more intelligent exhaust tech. Shop around; you'll be surprised by the differences in quotes. Some guys here have spent as low a $70 on Dynomax Bullets, and as much as $600 for an all-out custom stainless Magnaflow or Borla system. You should spend no more than $500 for an exhaust system, IMO.

I ran into a bunch of exhaust shops who swore that there was no way 2.5" pipes could possibly fit. Or that they would melt my gas tank. Or that they wouldn't help because of the exhaust manifold. Or then that they would cause me to lose all low end torque.

None of the above has turned out to be true.

Fro99 said:
My question is this guy is an idiot right? So I should not get it done there and that set-up would not be the same power? I only ask because I cant find anywhere that will even look at doing it, but i think i need just take it down to Milwaukee or something i guess.

When Jibit had his done, including headers installed, it was $1000 -

Fro - if you want, I can hook you up with my guy. He knows my car very well, and can do the whole thing for you, no problem)

His name is Jerry, 630-834-2886 - (Villa Park, Chicago Suburb) Tell him what you want and that Joey sent you. He'll take good care of you.

Hell, you may find one of my cars in his shop, I cant seem to get all of my cars home at once lately. LOL.

Fro99 said:
So I go into Midas (yeah, i know there was my first mistake) and start asking if they will install my LMS XX-Pipe and mufflers and take him the pic that Geno supplied.

After telling me that he could not do any set up like this he said would probably be $1000 for the pipes to get hand bent and get welded like the picture. He then proceeded to tell me that there was no way that those were 2.5 in pipes and and that there was no room and that they were 2x 1 inch pipes and that the stock pipe was better then this set up.

so then he tells me what he can do he said he would chop off the 3 cat and the other thing right next to it (resonator or something) and put in a y pipe of course he told me that the H-pipe (yea its XX-pipe i though, haha) i had was UN-needed. keep the stock pipe running back and the cut off the mufflers and then weld on the new ones and he wanted about $300 for that

I had my LMS system, hand bent pipes, installed for 300USD....

I had my double XX and LMS mufflers installed with mandrel bent pipes installed for 200 he quoted me 250 ooppss:eek: :eek: Check my gallery.:D

I have a exhaust setup that was about $2,000. headers and highflow cats plus misc. stuff were about a grand from scp. I've had a lms xx pipe from my old car that cost like 200 or something lik ethat. I just bought the new lms mufflers that I just had installed( I would upload pics but the picture size is too big for this board, kinda stupid how they only allow 150kb per picture when picture sizes now from digi cams can be upwards of 2mb.) I had a shop do it by me for liek 370.. 2 1/2 mandrel bent(not stainless tho). its a great setup I have to say

EDIT
btw geno I forgot to say thanks. these mufflers are awsome

BlackMark8Li said:
I have a exhaust setup that was about $2,000. headers and highflow cats plus misc. stuff were about a grand from scp. I've had a lms xx pipe from my old car that cost like 200 or something lik ethat. I just bought the new lms mufflers that I just had installed( I would upload pics but the picture size is too big for this board, kinda stupid how they only allow 150kb per picture when picture sizes now from digi cams can be upwards of 2mb.) I had a shop do it by me for liek 370.. 2 1/2 mandrel bent(not stainless tho). its a great setup I have to say

EDIT
btw geno I forgot to say thanks. these mufflers are awsome

Anytime Man. It was nice finally meeting you and your brother. SO how does it feel, NO MORE COPS?!?!?!!?

well, i went to midas they gave me a grand totla of 98 dollars for bent pipes and 140 for labor

Joeychgo said:
When Jibit had his done, including headers installed, it was $1000 -

Fro - if you want, I can hook you up with my guy. He knows my car very well, and can do the whole thing for you, no problem)

His name is Jerry, 630-834-2886 - (Villa Park, Chicago Suburb) Tell him what you want and that Joey sent you. He'll take good care of you.

Hell, you may find one of my cars in his shop, I cant seem to get all of my cars home at once lately. LOL.

hmmmm....

Thank You I may have to look into this, now I am thinking of just like get a bunch of stuff for him to install, kinda make it worth the trip, and get it all done at once.

headers= ? hp or waht do they do :shifty:

ONEBADMK8 said:
Anytime Man. It was nice finally meeting you and your brother. SO how does it feel, NO MORE COPS?!?!?!!?

Geno its so much quiter but still has a nice sound. I just went to court for that ticket I was telling you about, cop didn't show up so it got thrown out. I can't wait to get pictures up, I will probaly do that today. Thanks again

Members online

No members online now.
Back