tach question

94mark8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
the head mechanic at the local ford dealership told me that I would have to replace the whole cluster on my 94, is that true? He said he thought it was the tach problem and nothing else since it's stuck on 1500 rpms. someone help.

What is the problem? Does the tach move from nothing to 1500 RPM's, or does it not move at all? If it does not move at all, you can simply replace the tach portion of the gauge cluster. Each gauge is an independant piece in the cluster. What I mean is that the tach is a unit all itself (the gauge face and the mechanism), the speedo is a unit all itself (the gauge face and the mechanism), and the gas/temp is a unit all itself (the gauge face and the mechanism). Each piece can be pulled out and replaced. You do NOT hafta purchase and entire gauge cluster if any of the gauges are busted.

Now, what I think it is is that the gauge face has slipped down and has come in contact with the shaft for the tach needle. You will hafta remove the cluster, pull the the plastic over the gauges, and check to see if the gauge face has slipped, and if it has you will hafta reglue the gauge face back to the mechanism. You can use these directions on how to remove and reinstall the gauge cluster.

Hope that helps. :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back