temp gauge

fisk112

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just changed my thermostat housing thermostat and outlet pipe and yet when my car idles it runs normal temperature but when going down the temperature gauge drops. I have also let it run forever with the bleeder valve open to get any air out

you have bled the system improperly.. you need to follow the tech article to the T

Thank you for the info i do not see the tech articles up top

The tech article in question is here:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/CoolingSystemDraining/

However, that is for gen I. I believe that you have a gen II (It would be really really nice if people would post the year and engine of their LS.)

For the gen II V8, the correct bleeding procedure is here. You do have to follow it to the letter and in the right order. To do this, you will probably have to drain some coolant out and refill. Take careful note of which caps are left open and when they are closed.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x33004.htm~gen~ref.htm#extract_142

Sorry about that its a gen two and the thermostat was very hard to hold in place while bolting up. Thanks for taking time to respond and set me up with the links.

Sorry about that its a gen two and the thermostat was very hard to hold in place while bolting up. Thanks for taking time to respond and set me up with the links.

It should have been hard to install the thermostat to the front housing. However, if it caused you any trouble bolting the front housing to the rear housing (aka coolant outlet pipe) then something was wrong. The thermostat should not push on that part.

^^
what he said

i just did this, the thermostat itself, snaps and locks in to the housing, then you just bolt the housing back on, while replacing the coolant outlet pipe, i noticed that tab of the thermostat housing had broken off and would no longer hold the thermostat in. by your description of it, either you did not twist and lock the thermostat into the housing correctly, or you have some broken parts inside there and that is why your trying to hold all of those pieces together WHILE bolting the housing back to the coolant outlet pipe.

i just also did this myself ,at first i thought it was just the thermostat cuz it overheated so i got the tstat and some coolant from the stealership but when time came to install i noticed that the housing was rotted and broken then i noticed that the coolant outlet pipe was also very rotten looking and the small neck pipe behind that too so i changed out all 3 and all the o-rings ,cost me 400 in parts and a new belt ,i managed to get the 2 bolts that hold the last neck off without taking out the intake we had to cut the top of the bolts a bit to remove here are some pics .

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

Members online

Back