Thicker Oil ?

JOHN1242

Active LVC Member
Reaction score

Can i use a thicker oil in my 103,000 96 Gen 1 to quiet the sometimes clicky valvetrain down. Wouldnt it provide lost pressure from wear and help to prevent bearing failure? It is garage kept but i live in Michigan.

Any thoughts??

Thanx, John

I would try the opposite and use a thinner oil. 5w-20 full synthetic. These motors have very tight clearances which are designed for thin oil.

There is no best brand. Mobil 1 is good for off the shelf synthetic, Redline or Amsoil if you have the money and want to use the best. I would use a 20 or 30 weight oil.

Bumper to Bumper sells their own brand of Synthetic now. Its Valvoline rebranded and very inexpensive. I picked up a case of 12 quarts for $50.

I use to use Mobil 1 but I now I use Royal Purple. Thicker oil is also very hard on the timing chains on cold starts. Are you asking because its clicky when you start it ??

I use Mobile 1 fully synthetic 5W-30 and no, I wouldn't recommend going thicker but there are some on here that I remember posting that they use 10W30 conventional oil. I say some but I do remember at least two people saying they run it. Now if they have had problems from using it, I couldn't say but I myself wouldn't go past 5W-30. Mine also is garage kept with 117K and not driven daily.

I hear a slight ticking sound but only when the hood is up and I'm listening for it. I think most of these engines do have a slight ticking sound and more so at first start up for less than 2 seconds.

A 30 weight will differ in thickness even between brands. Look at the viscosity at 40 C and 100 C between the different oils and you will see the difference. I have ran everything from Amsoil 0w-20 to 10w-30 in my Mark VIII's. Right now I am using dino 5w-30 because I am not racing it.

Can i use a thicker oil in my 103,000 96 Gen 1 to quiet the sometimes clicky valvetrain down. Wouldnt it provide lost pressure from wear and help to prevent bearing failure? It is garage kept but i live in Michigan.

Any thoughts??

Thanx, John

at 103,000 miles,unless the engine was really abused, you wont have much wear to speak of on these mod engines ,certainly not enough to warrant thicker oil.

if its noise upon initial start up, your better off using a lighter oil as it will move quicker to the timing chain/tensioners/guides.

I run the LUCAS 5-20 full synth and love it I'm taking samples to compare to the mobile 1 I sample I have on the shelf. I know it's not necessary but I'm just courteous as to what the differences between the 2 will be.

mobil one is good stuff get it at walmart you cant beat the price 5 quarts for 24 bucks.
also go with a thiner oil beeter and it will not pervent lose in power.

If i was you i would royal purple oil i never belive the stuff would work till i tryed it in my 96 suburban wow what a difference. now that is all i use.

I run the LUCAS 5-20 full synth and love it I'm taking samples to compare to the mobile 1 I sample I have on the shelf. I know it's not necessary but I'm just courteous as to what the differences between the 2 will be.

Let us know how that turns out I used to send my oil samples out to Blackstone Labs to see the difference between different oils but decided it wasn't worth it anymore after spending $20+ per sample for a year...

I use Mobile-1 Full Synthetic 5W-20. I hear good things about Lucas
and Royal Purple too. I use to use Castrol until I found out they were
owned by BP* British Petrolium.

Thinner oil will cause less wear and tear to an engine at start-up where
90% of wear happens.

My engine is not as noisy at start-up after I made the switch to the thinner
oil. I also noticed lower engine temp on my regular commute.

Ren

I use Mobile-1 Full Synthetic 5W-20. I hear good things about Lucas
and Royal Purple too. I use to use Castrol until I found out they were
owned by BP* British Petrolium.

Thinner oil will cause less wear and tear to an engine at start-up where
90% of wear happens.

My engine is not as noisy at start-up after I made the switch to the thinner
oil. I also noticed lower engine temp on my regular commute.

Ren

How have you seen lower engine temp, unless you have an aftermarket coolant temp gauge?

Members online

No members online now.
Back