Throttle enhancer calibrator

codewize

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just installed my new Dynomax UltraFlow muffler so now I'm looking around for some inexpensive bolt on performance tricks and I came across this throttle enhancer calibrator thing. Do they work and what will I gain. I was also considering an MSD upgrade kit for the ignition. Any thoughts?

The budget is very tight right now but $100 items I can do.

:feed

Isn't that the thing that plugs in between your TPS? If so, waste of cash. Adjust your TPS yourself, and save the cash.

I'm not really sure where it goes. Maybe. Ok so now let me ask what would I do to the TPS to make it better?

NYC LSC said:
Isn't that the thing that plugs in between your TPS? If so, waste of cash. Adjust your TPS yourself, and save the cash.

I dont do any upgrades. The only ones that i have seen done are the HO conversion for the old towncars, a superchip and trans cooler for a 96tc. As for anything that plugs into the TPS i dont see how it could add power. I see a little calibrator on my TPS but i dont know how to use it. I would say keep the 100 and add it to next months check and see how much you can add with a superchip, cam intake and heads. But i dont know a lot about cadillac motors either. Just thought i would chime in. Is this for the STS or the brougham?

There is an old saying " if seems to good to be true , it probably is " this is the case with the product you are making reference too .. also the resistor that goes in series the temp sensor ,and the pluggin that goes into the PCV hose , and the fuel filter addin , and the fan that went under your carburetor ETC ETC .....
Lets ask what does the TPS do ...well the factory has calculated the volume of air that passes the throttle plate at many given openings , thus creating a curve to calculate fuel mixture . The theory is that the further the throttle plate is open the heavier the load on the engine. Some cars have a MAP sensor also , with a vacuum line on it that is also used for this purpose , The lower the vacuum the more load the engine is under..The MAP sensor is also a variable resistor that changes with how much vacuum is on it..The TPS is a resistor that increases resistance as the throttle plate is opened , and the curve is calculated on a given resistance is certain throttle opening..The Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) is also a resistor in the form of a fine wire that has a measured resistance , as air passes by it cools , thus reducing the resistance , by measuring this resistance a curve can be made as to how much air is entering the engine..There are also many other sensors that are used in the decision making process of the computer , which controls how much fuel to add by varying the length of time the injectors stay open in a given period of time..
The MAF and the MAP sensors are major contributers to the mixture process, all other curves , like the TPS are used for fine tunning ...Varying these settings will do very little to help performance and probably do more harm than good..The best MOD along these line changes the computer program on how all these curves are used in the decision making process ..More commonly referd to as the CHIP MOD .. Save your money for this mod and you will see some performance change for your dollars..
Leave the Too good to be trues , for the suckers... :beer:

This is for the STS.

Topcat: Where do I get a Chip or re-program the current chip and what will it cost? I don't see many things like this for these cars? Remember this is an 89' 4.5 it doesn't have the Northstar.

Thanks for the feedback

Pepsi2185 said:
I dont do any upgrades. The only ones that i have seen done are the HO conversion for the old towncars, a superchip and trans cooler for a 96tc. As for anything that plugs into the TPS i dont see how it could add power. I see a little calibrator on my TPS but i dont know how to use it. I would say keep the 100 and add it to next months check and see how much you can add with a superchip, cam intake and heads. But i dont know a lot about cadillac motors either. Just thought i would chime in. Is this for the STS or the brougham?

I didnt see anything from superchips, the 4.5 if front wheel drive is it not?? That may borderline on the speed density system, vs. the MAF system. If GM has a difference. The brougham in early nineties was still central port fuel injection at that time.

Does anyone know any performance car websites. You may have to purchase a different chip for the engine computer for enhanced performance.

What is the recommended octane from the factory?

Any speed shop should be able to reprogram your ECM. It won't be anywhere near free, but you'll have control over the overall tune. You could even have them dyno tune it.

codewize said:
This is for the STS.

Topcat: Where do I get a Chip or re-program the current chip and what will it cost? I don't see many things like this for these cars? Remember this is an 89' 4.5 it doesn't have the Northstar.

Thanks for the feedback

Try RSM , ad is on the right column , under LMS , above Five Star Ford , Maybe Geno at LMS has a sugestion... :steering

Yes it is front drive. The Brougham is also TBI. Don't quote me but I believe the recommended octane was 89. I can look in the manual and get back to you on that.

Pepsi2185 said:
I didnt see anything from superchips, the 4.5 if front wheel drive is it not?? That may borderline on the speed density system, vs. the MAF system. If GM has a difference. The brougham in early nineties was still central port fuel injection at that time.

Does anyone know any performance car websites. You may have to purchase a different chip for the engine computer for enhanced performance.

What is the recommended octane from the factory?

Hey Codewise -- how about writing articles for the Tech section on these things!!!!!!!!!! Please????

On changing the muffler? Sure I can do that. I have a couple things I want to write on but it's so difficult to find the time. I'll get you a couple articles in the next week or so.

Joeychgo said:
Hey Codewise -- how about writing articles for the Tech section on these things!!!!!!!!!! Please????

Members online

Back