Tire Sizes ??

Fla02LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I always get mixed up with tire sizing. My LS has 215/60, where is the difference between those and a 225/60 ? Fatter , Taller, Shorter ?
What is the most extreme difference for a factory 16" rim that i can go ?

Quik LS said:
Thanks, i knew i used a tire doohicky thing like that before, didnt know where to find it again. But this now brings on another question, if 215/60 is the factory sizing, is there any benefit to a different sized tire ? To me a wider tire means more rubber on the road which would suggest more traction. What is the fattest tire that can go on a 7.5 rim, i am thinking 255/50's.

I put 225-60-16 on my stockers and it filled it up a little better.

Fla02LS said:
Thanks, i knew i used a tire doohicky thing like that before, didnt know where to find it again. But this now brings on another question, if 215/60 is the factory sizing, is there any benefit to a different sized tire ? To me a wider tire means more rubber on the road which would suggest more traction. What is the fattest tire that can go on a 7.5 rim, i am thinking 255/50's.

It won't handle very well with those tires bulging over the too narrow wheel, I wouldn't go wider than 225 with a 7.5 inch wheel.

225/60/16s should be better than the 215/60/16s in anyways especially the looks.

Don't forget to have your speedo recalibrated if you go to a wider tire with the same profile--your speedo will read low.

SoonerLS said:
Don't forget to have your speedo recalibrated if you go to a wider tire with the same profile--your speedo will read low.

How do you recalibrate your speedo? I have 18s and my speedo is reading too fast, 40 is actually 35.

using the SCT XCal2 - do a search on 'SCT Flasher' there are 1000 threads on it...

I found some 245/50's that are a great price. Has anybody put a 245/50 on a stock 16" rim ? I dont see why it wouldnt work out ok.

I know the 235/55's would fit fine, not sure if that extra width would cause it to rub or bubble out the sides to much. Because I know people put 245/50's on 17's with no problems

DTCBob said:
I know the 235/55's would fit fine, not sure if that extra width would cause it to rub or bubble out the sides to much. Because I know people put 245/50's on 17's with no problems
Well if they fit on a 17 then it should fit on my 16's. They are the same width just bigger diameter.

a pic for you

Here is a 215/60/16 on the stock rim compared to a 225/60/16 on another stock rim. If the pic doesn't come out nice pm me your email address and I'll send the better version.

225.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back