To keep... or not to keep...

06blackls

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have had my 2006 LS for almost two years now and have put over 40,000 miles on it. I love the car and it drives awesome! but i have had my share of problems with it. Fortunately, i have lucked out and have paid very little for the repairs that i have had so for. I bout the car with 45,000 miles on it and i am the second owner of the car. Then the problems started....

At 49,000 miles, i was noticing shifting issues so i took it to the dealership before the factory warrant expired.. They told me it was the instrument cluster (still not completely understand how that influences shifting patterns) and that it was going to need replaced.. The kicker to that was that the DEALERSHIP claimed that there was not ONE instrument cluster anywhere in the STATES to go in my car and that FoMoCo was going to have to have one made.. This took 4 1/2 months to recieve while my car sat in the dealership parking lot with no dash in it while i drove a rental dodge caliber around.... For my troubles and the long wait.. ford gave me a 3 year, 36,000 mile extended warranty on the car.

After that, one of the wheel bearing went, the coils (typical i know), the rear sway bars i believe, ( i know it was some sort of suspension in the rear but i cant remember) the drivers seat motor was replaced, and then the the window regulator (again.. typical) .... But im not done...

At about 65,000 miles i was driving home and the car just died on me.. no warning lights nothing.. so i called the tow truck and had them tow it to my dealership.. when the truck driver got there.. he cranked and cranked on the ignition with his foot on the gas untill it starts. (literally for 2 or 3 minutes constantly). The car finally started and has the worst sounding knock that i have ever heard.. but the driver continued to keep flooring the gas to keep it running with the sound getting worse... So when the dealership looked at it the told me the oil pan was full of metal and the engine was toast.. TWO MONTHS later this time.. i got my car back..

I have not had any problems since then... and i have a total of about $300 in all of these repairs.. However im now to 85,000 miles and out of the extended warranty.. the car has been driving fine.. *knocks on wood* but i feel like im sitting on a grenade.. With all of that said... i keep asking myself if i should get rid of it while its in good running condition.. or should i look into an extended warranty?

Who has extended warrantys and which ones do you have? I think i may need one if i keep the car!

HELP!

Clearly you should cut your loses and sell it to me at a below market price.

Thought the 2006 models were the ones with the least amount of problems, sorry to hear that man, but sometimes you just get a bad one. But shes been running good until 85k miles without problems I would suggest keeping it. As for a extended warranty, I had one with my car, wasn't a dealer warranty or ford and was a complete waste of money, think it was cars protection plus, its like every time I had something go wrong they wanted to buy the cheapest part and ship it to the shop for them to put in and it was a hassle for them to even pay a cent for something that was covered under there fine print. Do some research on that because there are bad ones out there and not worth a cent.

What do you think the below market price should be? Have any ideas? I like the idea of driving it still.. its the cheapest route i have IF i dont have anymore problems.. We all know i cant rely on that tho.. based on the cars past.

simple answer here

do you want the car ( ) yes ( )no

if you checked the yes box keep it, if no, get rid of it. I would never ask other people what they think I want to do

simple answer here

do you want the car ( ) yes ( )no

if you checked the yes box keep it, if no, get rid of it. I would never ask other people what they think I want to do

And take the money you would spend on an extended warranty (usually not worth the paper their printed on) and put it in the bank to use for repairs.

And take the money you would spend on an extended warranty (usually not worth the paper their printed on) and put it in the bank to use for repairs.

I agree.. The post was to gain info on the extended warranties..

That is also a good alternative to the extended warranty.. I never doubted that method until my motor took a sh*t.. Boy was i glad i had that, cause my savings account wouldnt have touched that repair bill!

did the dealer ever come up with a reason that the motor took a sh!t

Everything you listed aside from the instument cluster and toasted engine are completely normal repairs for many cars not just the LS. I have driven a Carrolla with 40K miles on it that had a bad wheel bearing, needed 2 new fuel injectors and the window wouldn't roll down...
At any rate I am going to assume that they replaced your engine at 65K? If so what are you so worried about? If you bought it with 45K on it and have put 40K on it, minus new engine at 65K = a LS with 20K on it.
Do what you want, not what other people recommend. If you aren't happy with the LS, at the end of the day it is your money.

What do you think the below market price should be? Have any ideas? I like the idea of driving it still.. its the cheapest route i have IF i dont have anymore problems.. We all know i cant rely on that tho.. based on the cars past.

Sorry, that was a both a joke and an indication that I would still take my chances with it.

If you like the car, keep it. If you don't, then get rid of it.
I suspect (but certainly don't know) that some of your problems may actually be the dealer service department that you are using.

They suggested that the oil pump went bad.. but in the end.. i dont think there was a clear reason as to why the motor failed. I agree that some of the issues could be with the service department (i'd like to think not as i have close personal relationships with the service manager and the owner of the dealership itself... doesnt say anything for the tech actually working on the car tho).

FoMoCo (not the dealership) tried to slip in that the reason the motor went was because of customer abuse.. but that was quickly countered with service records and oil change reciepts and they agreed to replace the motor..

Sorry, that was a both a joke and an indication that I would still take my chances with it.

If you like the car, keep it. If you don't, then get rid of it.
I suspect (but certainly don't know) that some of your problems may actually be the dealer service department that you are using.

I gathered that. lol ive just been thinking about what it would be worth... As far as the paper trail... the carfax is CLEAN somehow.. must have not been reported.. however, i couldnt sell the thing without disclosing that info.

Something must have gone seriously wrong to nuke the engine. Especially on a dealer maintained service schedule? Hmmmmmm

Exactly what i'm thinking. My thought was that they should just buy the car and declare it a lemon! lol they have put way more $ in the car than its worth.. Not to mention the $4,000 bill to enterprise to rent a car!

I think i will just put a new 5.0 drivetrain in it and call it done..... ;)

I think i will just put a new 5.0 drivetrain in it and call it done..... ;)

This is now relevant to my interests :)

Although the electrical/computer nightmare would drive me insane (more).

My '06 has been fine to me, but it's just now getting up to 45K-miles. It has a few quirks though. A noisy injector that comes and goes, the radio sometimes sounds great and othertimes sounds like a bad connection, and it has a high-speed humm above 80. I still have the drivetrain warranty for another 40K-miles so I am not swearing all the other little stuff. I've had to work on the LS a lot less then some of the other heaps I used to drive.

2c Worth

If it were me, I'd sell it. KBB private party good seems to be a close estimate.
My car has had repeated issues, common and uncommon and the codes thrown don't align with the actual problems (i.e. catalytic code, passed CA smog with clean measured exhaust - TPS code, unit bench tested fine) and I wish I'd sold it at about 90k before all the issues cropped up, or even right after the COPs all went, or the cooling system plastic deteriorated, or the radiator cracked, or the trans or the...
On the lemon thing, not as good as you might think. My brother purchased a new '09 SuperDuty F-250 TurboDiesel and it wouldn't build boost. Took it to the dealership repeatedly, they threw parts at it, never putting it on a dyno to reproduce the problem. Never solved the problem after 3 rounds of parts throwing and guessing. Bro took the problem to the District and after quite a bit of tussling got it declared a lemon (probably a simple issue a real truck mechanic would have diagnosed.)
Got a credit toward another Ford in the amount of the value of his depreciated lemon (not the purchase price.)
Got a gasoline NA SuperDuty to replace the Diesel. He definitely wasn't pleased a bit at how the dealership and the district rep handled it.

You and me both... None the less, it would be worth it! :D

Yeah. You would pretty much just have to reconcile yourself to the fact that you will be rewiring most of what is under the hood to make it work. It would actually be cheaper and easier to just S/C the 3.9 though. This is what I will probably end up doing.

Got a credit toward another Ford in the amount of the value of his depreciated lemon (not the purchase price.)
Got a gasoline NA SuperDuty to replace the Diesel. He definitely wasn't pleased a bit at how the dealership and the district rep handled it.

That's how the Lemon Law works. You get a credit for any unused value of the vehicle. No Lemon Law (that I'm aware) returns the purchase price. He also got to pay sales tax (again) on his new purchase. Ain't The People's Republik of Kahleefornya grand?

Members online

Back