town car on last legs help

lincolnjlincoln

LVC Member
Reaction score
I submitted this first on town car thread and someone told me to post here.
I have a 91 tc and a boatload of problems. it all started when I bought her she had a miss and I drove it like that for a long time I found the problem to be a spark plug wire I done a tune up wires and plugs and lo and behold she ran like new yea for about 2 hours after I let her set for an hour she ran like crap and then didnt run at all i found the problem to be a vacuum line replaced it ad guess what she ran great for about 2 days then she started to run her battery down at night but not every night just some she run crappy sputters and stalls and has no power it runs better when she warms up but not like she should. no engine light or codes my garage said she is fine and so did auto zone but my garage was too scared to take it on a test drive help

Electronics are funny in these cars low voltage can cause the gremlins to pop up all over. Could be a bad battery or alt.

lincoln town car electronic quirks

yea, ive experienced some really peculiar electronic glitches. most severe one is transmission downshifting and it doesnt need rebult or new tranny fluid cuz ive checked all that and it does it only periodically. also the door locks will just shoot up and down. there are other small problems too.

Take it to Autozone and have them check the battery, starter and alternator... It should be free, just ten minutes of your time...

You may also ask them if they have the means to check the voltage regulator which in 91s' is located on the fender wall... Or try replacing... Sometimes that is the culprit...

Hmmm I have similar problems too with my '92 along with a blown AOD. My first plan of attack is to replace all of the engine electrical sensors and belts they all can be had pretty cheap at http://www.drivewire.com/ from there check your alternator, belts, & battery. Not that I know but if you have an AOD then electrical problems should not affect it, if you have an AODE then yes you need a diagnostic. Keep me posted, -G:rolleyes:

429 said:
Hmmm I have similar problems too with my '92 along with a blown AOD. My first plan of attack is to replace all of the engine electrical sensors and belts they all can be had pretty cheap at http://www.drivewire.com/ from there check your alternator, belts, & battery. Not that I know but if you have an AOD then electrical problems should not affect it, if you have an AODE then yes you need a diagnostic. Keep me posted, -G:rolleyes:
:W to :V

If you're not throwing any codes, your sensors are all within design parameters. Try the battery/alt. route first(ie. having it all checked). You could also try disconnecting the battery and cleaning the terminals (leave disconnected for at least a minute). Also, check all your ground wires. Then do a 'drive cycle' to let the ECM re-learn your driving habits. (At least 5 miles of highway and stop and go driving). If you have an overnight drain, you have a definite problem. Also, the alt. connectors are prone to meltdown. I would replace it just for peace of mind at this point.

IM000016.jpg

Members online

Back