Tranny ATF change

LiQQuid

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Anybody use this before to add or change ATF in tranny?

lube pump.jpg

gear-lube-amsoil-hand-pump.jpg

lube pump 1.jpg

Not me, but it does look like it should work. As long as the end tip is small enough to fit in the fill hole

Probably will work to add. Won't work to remove fluid. What looks like a drain plug, is NOT. It is an inspection port with a tube going up into the tranny pan. The open end of the tube is several inches up. WHen the fluid level is correct, some will go above the end of the tube and dribble out. To drain the pan, I think the only home method is to drop the pan, which I would do anyway so I could inspect the pan for problems.

This is one of those trannies where it may just be better to pay the cost of a tranny flush rather than do it at home. Unless you like dropping the pan, I do.

BTW, I have used these hand pump type deals since the 70s. Work great on ATF and OK with thick differential fluid. Thick fluids are a pita to pump since it takes a fair amount of pressure to pump the handle and you might get a cramp after several bottles.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Probably will work to add. Won't work to remove fluid. What looks like a drain plug, is NOT. It is an inspection port with a tube going up into the tranny pan. The open end of the tube is several inches up. WHen the fluid level is correct, some will go above the end of the tube and dribble out. To drain the pan, I think the only home method is to drop the pan, which I would do anyway so I could inspect the pan for problems.

Not true. It is also a drain plug. You have to remove the outer part of the plug. Here's the instructions.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x71028.htm~gen~ref.htm

All that said, you only replace a small part of the fluid this way. The best way to do it is with the dealer's fluid exchange machine. That replaces over 90% of the fluid.

Members online

No members online now.
Back