Transmission Fluid

Slavko3

LVC Member
Reaction score
Gentleman,

I baught my 02 at the 62,000mile mark i believe (whatever is 80,000kilometers in miles) I am NOT 100% sure if the transmission fluid was changed then, IF it was, I have put on 30,000Miles on the car in a span of 6 months all highway, do i need to change it?

IF at the 62,000Mile mark it was not changed, should i get my ass in gear and get it changed immediatly?

Change it now by someone who knows what he is doing, make sure it is a complete drain and fill.

Interesting.

I'm looking to get myn changed soon aswell. I bought the car with 63k. And now just hit 78k

Dont mean to tear down the thread. But how many quarts does it take to fill? and should the filter be replaced while draining... I'm thinking about having a local mechanic do it.

wow 125-130? thats cheap, down here at the dealer its 250$$$$$ that dosent bother me thought i just wanted to know specifically to my car when i should do it, just so i didnt waste my money

Preventative maintance is always a good practice. When i bought my F150, I had everything changed (fuild wise)... always good to know what you have and when everything was done. Because "they" can say anything they want when selling a car.

Get'er done !

Interesting.
But how many quarts does it take to fill? and should the filter be replaced while draining... I'm thinking about having a local mechanic do it.

Owner manual states 11.9 qts. and requires a special tool to evacuate and refill under pressure, that is why it is best to bite the bullet and go to dealer.

Just had mine done about 17.7 quarts of fluid (Mercol ?) at $8.00 a quart.
I am sure there is a right way and a wong way to do this and the dealership is the wrong way.

2004 Owners Manual: "Ensure the correct automatic transmission fluid is used. MERCON and MERCON V are not interchangeable. DO NOT MIX MERCON and MERCON V."

"MERCON V 11.2L/11.9quarts"

Had mine done at the local Ford Dealer last year for about $160. Not just a drain, but the full BG Flush/fill via the cooler lines. Had it done at about 85k just because (even though the owners manual says it never needs to be done), and will have it done again at 170k miles. But then again, my plan is to sell the LSE at 160k, so this may be the only time I ever have it done.

I have the dealer change the transmission fluid and filter every 12 months. Cost is $135.00. If I had a four post lift I would do it myself. Whomever does this task has to know the proper procedure and how the pan is constructed for a proper fill level.

Hey thanks gcwimmer, my mechanic just gave me $50.00 refund for chargiing me for 17.7 quarts of mercon, should have been 11.9.
I'm sure it was an mind lapse on his part as he has always been fair, and has done good work, 17 quarts did seem like a lot. Nice to have new fluid in there the old stuff was nasty.

Members online

No members online now.
Back