trying to replace brakes pads but cant

lloydrage

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I cant get the brake piston to go back so I can fit it back on the rotor. Is there something special we have to do to replace brake pads?

also we have tried a C clamp and still no luck

Went through the same thing myself recently. You need a special tool to compress the piston. The piston must be rotated as it is compressed (notice the notches in the face of the piston).

The tool is basically a C clamp with tabs that fit in the notches. As you tighten the clamp, you also rotate the piston.

I had to put my old shoes back on until I got the tool. I used a clamp, and rotated the piston with a pair of channel locks. You could 'technically" use that method to compress the piston all the way, but I was afraid I would chew up the piston and cause a leak.

HTH

lloydrage said:
I cant get the brake piston to go back so I can fit it back on the rotor. Is there something special we have to do to replace brake pads?

For the Rear Brakes you need a tool to rotate it back in the caliper. KD tools Model 3355 will work. Some auto parts stores have loaner brake kits that has the tool.

yeah it was both front and rear. Got part from autozone for 12 bucks. The rear ones needed special tool. C clamp worked for front ones

thanks all

Members online

No members online now.
Back