Tweeter Mounting

RiversideLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ay Guys,

So I'm putting in my components tomorrow (JL C5-650's - yep they'll fit - with a little work heh) in my 05 but I'm trying to figure where to put the tweeters.

As I don't really have the bankroll for expensive custom a-pillars you guys got any suggestions, or pics and opinions on any tweeter mounts you guys have done in your installs.

Thanks in advance ;).

Pektel did a good job on his. I can't find his picture of them though.

Thanks alax. :)

Here's a pic I can find with my phone:

IMG_9493.jpg

That looks good.

I think the stock thx system has some really good soundstage all around so i dont see myself going with a component
setup.

Those look really good. It looks like that spot has a good amount of clearance for the tweeter flush mount too from checking out the door. How does it sound?

I have mine surface mounted on the trim piece opposite the mirror.

I have mine surface mounted on the trim piece opposite the mirror.

+1 on the trim piece.

Although I do have a true appreciation for overall front staging and what some may be shooting for, I used the Metra door bracket with tweeter cutout and saved making any type of cosmetic alterations to my interior that a potential buyer may be turned off by. Running the JBL GTI-508 component system (front and rear).

Me? Don't remember, honestly. I think I used a 1" hole saw bit to drill the hole (I cut the vinyl/leather (whatever it is on the door panel) with a utility knife, since I was afraid the hole saw bit would tear it up. Then I used a dremel to trim the opening wide enough to fit the "cup" that the tweeter sits in.

Thanks I want to flush mount some tweeters..but I have no experience in doing it..is there anything u did to keep the "cup" from moving

A custom audio shop can do it for a good price.

They tend to work with you most the time.

The cup has a brace that attaches via a bolt from the inside of the panel. I'll draw a quick pic of it.

What kind of mids/highs are u running.. I think im gonna go the kicker route..hopefully I don't get disappointed lol

What kind of mids/highs are u running.. I think im gonna go the kicker route..hopefully I don't get disappointed lol

I actually got the fronts as a gift from the girlfriend a couple years ago. Eclipse something or other. 5x7 instead of 6.5 (didn't need to worry about fabbing a plate.)

I think she paid around $100 for them on clearance.

6.5 will fit, but you will have to fab a plate to take the 6.5" speaker instead of the 5x7/6x8

6.5 will fit, but you will have to fab a plate to take the 6.5" speaker instead of the 5x7/6x8

I don't remember, but IIRC, I used a 6.5" round just fine in the factory spot.

I'm only speaking from personal experience. The hole for the speaker is oval. Common practice (from what I've seen, anyways), is to take a piece of 1/2" or thicker MDF, make an oval template, and cut the 6.5" round hole out of it. mount the plate to the stock opening, and mount the 6.5" speaker to the plate.

Ha, just did a little Google searching, and found these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6x8-5x7-6-Speak...809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483a7b65b9

I'm only speaking from personal experience. The hole for the speaker is oval. Common practice (from what I've seen, anyways), is to take a piece of 1/2" or thicker MDF, make an oval template, and cut the 6.5" round hole out of it. mount the plate to the stock opening, and mount the 6.5" speaker to the plate.

Ha, just did a little Google searching, and found these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6x8-5x7-6-Speak...809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483a7b65b9

I may have had to jury-rig the speakers in there..... I just don't really remember. It was almost 10 years ago..

Members online

No members online now.
Back