VSS wire elusive, Please help find

jaweis

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am pulling my hair out! All I need to do is find the speed sensor wire on my 2002 lincoln LS. I have had several people say its a white wire/red strip at the ABCM on pass side under hood. Lincoln says similar but on fire wall (I cant get to fire wall). One guy said it was in the drivers kick panel. I dont even kno what the abcm is or what it looks like. I tapped the only two white wires under the hood on pass side and neither of them was it. one was hot all the time and the other did not change voltage while driving. I need a picture of where it should be if possible and a definate location...please...anybody.(sad huh)
Thanks

What is the reason you need to get to this wire?

You might try pulling out the instrument cluster and check the harnesses that go into that. There are 3 plugs back there with about a dozen wires each.

I don't know what an "ABCM" is, either; there's the PCM (Powertrain Control Module), which is in the passenger compartment, behind the glovebox. It pokes through the firewall into the engine compartment (its harness is in the engine compartment). Someone said that he found a wire in that harness that would work for a VSS pickup, and that's probably what you're seeking. Take a look at post #96 in this thread:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=29444&highlight=VSS+speed+sensor

FWIW, the LS doesn't use a VSS; the PCM calculates the speed based on feedback from the ABS sensors.

there is no White/Red wire on pin 13 on any of the three PCM connectors.

so it appears nobody has ever really found the vss wire, its like nessie. i have only heard rumors about it working by grabbing some bizzare wire from under the car above tranny....and nearly impossible to get to, let alone see. thats a drag, i just installed my eclipse 5435 and it really needs that vss to work the nav properly

I have accomplished this, what you need to do is grab the wire at a wheel speed sensor; I dont remember the color but when you get to the wheel speed sensor its covered in a rubber surround and holds two wires, its either one or the other.

ok, that is something new, I am game. But where is the wheel speed sensor at the wheel? any of them? do you remove the wheel to get to it...any details will help. Thanks

Members online

Back