Weird electrical issue

Canidae

LVC Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal, go to turn off my Mark three days ago, and noticed that the message center was still on, radio still playing, and power windows still worked. So looking for some thoughts on what the problem might be. Additional symptoms are:

- Car engine itself is off.
- About 15 minutes later aforementioned electronics will turn off.
- Auto headlights still turn off as normal.
- 15a fuse for the courtesy lamps, keyless entry, seat memory, and so on is blown, and attempts to replace it cause it to blow immediately.
- All other fuses are fine, both under the hood and in the cabin.
- This occurs with the door open, and the key out of the ignition

Gen 2s are awesome... you still have auxiliary power until a door is opened :) this is normal
, but you also have a short somewhere

Mine was doing the same thing but the problem for me was the door jamb switch. It's a simple fix, IF that's your problem. rockauto has original Motorcraft switches and one to your door is just under $9.00 and takes every bit of 2 minutes or less to swap out. Just a thought for you and cheap enough to try.

PinSwitch-3.jpg

Bad ground or short
Do you have anything aftermarket in the car.

Only a stereo that came with it when I bought it used a few months ago. Any advice on finding the short? Got the service manuals if that helps.

Demon possession ??

Nah tried an exorcism, and she seems demon free.

Mine was doing the same thing but the problem for me was the door jamb switch. It's a simple fix, IF that's your problem. rockauto has original Motorcraft switches and one to your door is just under $9.00 and takes every bit of 2 minutes or less to swap out. Just a thought for you and cheap enough to try.

PinSwitch-3.jpg

Thought that was it at first, but door ajar indication still works, and that doesn't explain power to the windows. Btw all this is for a 1995 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC.

The door ajar indicator is unrelated. It's another switch. Door ajar messages are controlled by a switch in the door latch.
Do the interior lights come on when you open the door? That is controlled by that door jamb switch. If the interior lights turn on and off normally, the door jamb switch, no limits picture, is prolly fine.

I bet the aftermarket radio install is screwing something up. That is where I would start.

My interior lights were coming on randomly, not often but it did happen a few times and then when it got real bad, I could open the door and the stereo and everything would still remain on. I started messing with the door jamb switch and pushing it in and out a few times and then pushed it in and would let it snap back out fast. Well, I done that little fix too many times and the part of the switch that slides ended popping out in the floor and I had two pieces. If I tried putting the button back in and pressed in, the lights would come on lol. I just left it out and ordered one and replaced it with a new one and no problems since.

I went ahead and ordered another one for the passengers side just so they wouldn't be messing with me anymore. Mine did for sure let me know that something was wrong though when I opened the door and the message center was still on and the stereo. I knew whatever was making my interior lights come on while the car was off had gotten worse and it was that one switch. Seems like it was $8.56 to the door from rockauto and I had it in 2 days. It comes in a box that is 30 times too big for the little switch box.

Members online

No members online now.
Back