What are the symptoms of a bad injector?

sivtech

LVC Member
Reaction score
ok lets starts my story.

I took my car into Fiesta Lincoln here in Mesa, AZ. I had them look it over and check out my stumpling idle and rough shifting tranny.

They report back to me that my brake booster was leaking and the Master Cyl was leaking. They also said my intake manifold gasket was leaking oil.

Fortuniately this was all covered by my aftermarket warranty and I was glad to fork over the $100 deductible to pay for this.

I get the car and all is washed and seems to run the same as before.

I drive no more than 15 miles, go to ups from dealer, ups to home, home to gym, then gym to gas station. Fill the car up at the gas station, attempt to start, then car dies. UH OH.

I have the car towed back to them and i leave my keys in the drop box.

Well no more than 20mins ago I get a call saying my injector went bad and it will cost $300 to fix and warranty will not cover.

Now on to my battle I am about to have with them.

The car dies right after starting, It acts like the MAF is disconnected or something of the like. I looked for any discconnected items and NOTHING.

I was able to keep the car running by holding the gas pedal down while starting the car, and it runs like CRAP.

This to me, a person who has worked on cars, seems nothing related to a bad injector.

I know for sure with a bad injector the car would still run and throw a code.

None of these things have happened. I believe who ever the tech maybe, left something disconnected and just plain ol' screwed up.

What are your thoughts? I need some ammo to fight back at the dealer when I get a call back from the service manager. This is really fishy to me.

Thanks,

stranded in Mesa, AZ

What year is the car? What engine is in it?

How did they determine it was an injector? Were there any stored trouble codes that they found? What tests were done?

What year is the car? What engine is in it?

How did they determine it was an injector? Were there any stored trouble codes that they found? What tests were done?

hah would help if i have that info eh?

2003 V6 premium.

They did not release that info. (as in was to pissed to ask)

When they first worked on teh car, it had NO engine codes.

Any smoke out of the exhaust?

Sounds to me more like a coil issue to be honest. Unless several injectors just happened to die at the same time.

When I had a bad injector it acted just like a bad coil. In fact that's what I thought it was - it threw a code for a misfire and I replaced the plug and coil on that cylinder and then it did it again. I figured fuel was the only thing left since air and spark were ok so I changed the injector and it was fine after that....

It shouldn't die right after starting if only one injector is bad... it should run on 7 cylinders but with a little shaking...

Members online

Back