What is the finish of these wheels? Are they painted?

yes they are painted aluminum wheels, the top coat could be sanded down.

however if shiny wheels is what you want, I would not go with unfinished aluminum...

If you sand the paint off with sandpaper, it doesnt matter what is under the paint. Its not going to be shiny after the sand paper scuffs it up.

Its not going to be shiny after the sand paper scuffs it up.

well you start lower grit... once you get high enough, and throw a little polish and a buff wheel that sh!t will start to shine! lol

however polishing up aluminum to a shine can sure take a while and a lot of practice before it comes out good.

well you start lower grit... once you get high enough, and throw a little polish and a buff wheel that sh!t will start to shine! lol

however polishing up aluminum to a shine can sure take a while and a lot of practice before it comes out good.

I polished my control arms with a 3M headlight refinishing kit. The look almost chrome. The OP sounded as if he was going to sand off the paint expecting to see polished aluminum underneath. You can sand off the paint but then there are hours of polishing to follow. And a clear coat would probly protect the shine longer.

if you really want a mirror like finish, I would want a much harder more durable material like chrome that will stay a mirror like finish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNXWkMdEo-c

by the end, the guy admits it may not have been the best idea.

Doesnt have the correct tools. Using a DA and polisher it would be a lot faster. Also, Im just not real crazy about chrome rims. I like them, but I live in the rust belt and nearly every chrome rim around here starts to chip and crack.

I dont have many options. Its either the painted aluminum or aluminum. Im not sure how the "brushed aluminum", or I guess they are calling it "machined aluminum wheels" are done. Im not sure how they get that look. I like those best and the grinding and polishing the aluminum wheels i posted above could give me that same look for a fraction of the cost.. Heres some "Machined face aluminum wheels" on a vette.

vetee.jpg

vetee.jpg

I polished my control arms with a 3M headlight refinishing kit. The look almost chrome. The OP sounded as if he was going to sand off the paint expecting to see polished aluminum underneath. You can sand off the paint but then there are hours of polishing to follow. And a clear coat would probly protect the shine longer.

I dont know. Do you really think its gonna take hours? The guy that did those BMW wheels did it really fast.

if you want it looking like a mirror or close to chrome, then yes, it could...

for machined wheels, they just clear coat them right after they get machined or milled, that look, is directly from the tooling that cuts the metal into the shape.

if you want it looking like a mirror or close to chrome, then yes, it could...

for machined wheels, they just clear coat them right after they get machined or milled, that look, is directly from the tooling that cuts the metal into the shape.

I see. So its called "machined". Hmmmm....i dont know what im gonna do now. Im not crazy about painted wheels

Members online

No members online now.
Back