What Tires Should I Buy?

Eurythmian

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I don't do extreme driving... this is my work car. I drive about 30 miles each direction to work in the Dallas/Forth Worth Metroplex and deal with lots of heavy traffic. Temperatures here in DFW are about 105˚ during the peak season and we do get lots of rain which make the roads slick.

Looking to get All Season Tires.

I want the quietist tire for the best price. I'm looking to spend around $500.00 for a set.

The original Continentals which came on the car are almost bald - so I know I don't want to buy them again.

I have looked at Michelins, Eagle GTs, and Kumhos. I'm confused at the reviews they get. I thought I would ask you guys what you buy and see what you recommend.

Thanks for your help.

I'm looking to spend around $500.00 for a set.

Good luck! I would get Hankook Ventus V4. They are quiet except on grooved concrete. Even then it isn't unbearable and quieter than the Continentals that came on my 2000.

...here in DFW ...rain which make the roads slick.
Sheeeit, bubba, the road engineers in DFW don't have a clue about preparing roads for rain; trace amounts will make some of them slick. I've had to drive on Beltline in/after the rain a few times, and it was slick as ice every time. You might give those guys a tip that the rest of the country already knows--the rain grooves should go ACROSS the flow of traffic, not ALONG it.

I've run Avon Tech M550 A/S, Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires, as well as the OEM Michelin MXM4s and Contis, on my LSes. As of right now, I'd say that the Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires I'm running now are the best tires I've run on either of my LSes, followed by the Bridgies, and those two are head and shoulders above the rest--and, as John Wayne said in Rio Bravo, I'd hate to have to live on the difference between them. IMHO, the Tire Rack's ratings of them are spot-on, and you can't go wrong with either. Of course, they'll blow your $500 budget (the Bridgies are $174 and the Michelins are $180, not counting road hazard warranty, shipping, and mounting/balancing), but if you can swing it, they're worth it.

I bought new tires last year and kept going back and forth between the Eagle F1 AS or the Sumitomo HTR's. I finally decided on the HTR's because they were half the price, and all the reviews on tire rack were better. So far so good. They handle great in the snow, but I dont think you will have to worry about that in TX. lol

Turanza Serenity

Try the Turanza Serenity, great wet traction and very quiet on the highway.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

I think after reading endless reviews and all the relies to this post, I'm gonna go with "Michelin Pilot Sport A/S". They rate well - wear well - and are the right price.

It's important to buy a quiet tire without sacrificing performance. And I have owned three different sets of Michelin tires on different vehicles and they were excellent.

Thanks for all your help - I will get back on here and let everyone know how they perform once I have had them on the car for a few miles.

Sheeeit, bubba, the road engineers in DFW don't have a clue about preparing roads for rain; trace amounts will make some of them slick. I've had to drive on Beltline in/after the rain a few times, and it was slick as ice every time. You might give those guys a tip that the rest of the country already knows--the rain grooves should go ACROSS the flow of traffic, not ALONG it.

I've run Avon Tech M550 A/S, Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires, as well as the OEM Michelin MXM4s and Contis, on my LSes. As of right now, I'd say that the Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires I'm running now are the best tires I've run on either of my LSes, followed by the Bridgies, and those two are head and shoulders above the rest--and, as John Wayne said in Rio Bravo, I'd hate to have to live on the difference between them. IMHO, the Tire Rack's ratings of them are spot-on, and you can't go wrong with either. Of course, they'll blow your $500 budget (the Bridgies are $174 and the Michelins are $180, not counting road hazard warranty, shipping, and mounting/balancing), but if you can swing it, they're worth it.

I love my Bridgestones...the same model as you noted.
245/45/17 all the way around.

To elaborate on what Frog said you should get black road tires that fill with air. I would definitely recommend rounds ones, the squares and triangles are only for certain types of people, unless of course that's your style. On a more serious note, I have Hankooks on the Mustang and Bridgestones on the Lincoln, can't really complain about either. I did however, go with the wider size tires on the LS.

the tires are more than 4 yrs old no wonder there bald

+2 on the Bridgestones. I got the Potenza G009 all seasons and have been very happy with them. I believe they have been replaced by the G019.

When I got my tires, I printed off an order for 4 from tire rack, took it to my local Firestone shop and they beat the price, including mounting and balancing. It was a good day.

the tires are more than 4 yrs old no wonder there bald

Sorry if I offended Continental Loyalists.

Yes... I understand this would be normal for the age of the tire.
But the condition the tire is in after only 25K is pretty sad.
I have never had a tire wear that fast.

From what I have read, Continentals are pretty crappy tires and they don't hold up. Cheap! This is probably why FORD used them.

No big deal... I just don't want Continentals when I can buy Michelins or an equivalent.

Sorry if I offended Continental Loyalists.

Yes... I understand this would be normal for the age of the tire.
But the condition the tire is in after only 25K is pretty sad.
I have never had a tire wear that fast.

From what I have read, Continentals are pretty crappy tires and they don't hold up. Cheap! This is probably why FORD used them.

No big deal... I just don't want Continentals when I can buy Michelins or an equivalent.

I have Conti's on my LS and they are great! No I don't take offense to what you said because in a way I agree with you. The stock Continetals that came on my LS were crappy, but I have been running Continental Extreme Contact sized 245/45 18 on a couple of my cars for a few years now. They are cheaper than both the Michelin's and Bridgestone's and they have great wear in both snow and rain. I live in Wisconsin and they will plow right through the snow like nobody's business. And in the rain, when people are slowing down because of a little water on the road I can go the speed limit no problem.

Response Edge & Blizzak

I put Goodyear Eagle ResponseEdge on my LS, I had 65k on the original oe tires, and the Goodyears were a HUGE step up from the crap original. Snow traction was a consideration for northern Michigan and they have done very well for the first 2 winters.

I just got Bridgestone Blizzaks for 105/ea from tire rack for this winter.

470 for winter tires shipped to my front door.

730 for Goodyear Response Edge installed at discount tire (2+ years ago)

fun isnt always cheap.

Members online

Back