What yr LS does not have the Hydr fan

93prochargedgt

LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I have been reading alot of horror stories about this. I know it is not the problem with my car. I still don't like it. I drive around 100 a day to and from work so the wife and I decided that we should get me a new lincoln with alittle less miles on it :D mine is a 2000 with 96k on it. I was mad about the heating and alot of people share my pain I see, I went and test drove a camry, getting back into my ls i remember why I DESPISE FWD. PLus even as a v6 that camry can't get out of it's own way, and has no where near the ride of my ls. I would like to stay away from that stupid cooling design, ford wasted alot of money engineering that garbage when electric fans work just fine. I was curious if 03's have that same fan or are they electric? I found 2 beautiful 03's that I would not mind owning.

2nd Gen LSes ('03-'06) have electric cooling fans. 1st Gen LSes ('00-'02) are the only ones with the hydraulic fans.

The hydraulic cooling fan was not a waste of money; it was a solution to a problem--the 1st Gen LS's alternator couldn't put out enough current to feed all of its electronic/electrical systems and a cooling fan.

2nd Gen LSes ('03-'06) have electric cooling fans. 1st Gen LSes ('00-'02) are the only ones with the hydraulic fans.

The hydraulic cooling fan was not a waste of money; it was a solution to a problem--the 1st Gen LS's alternator couldn't put out enough current to feed all of its electronic/electrical systems and a cooling fan.

Then why not put a higher amp alternator on the car.

Well, my 2000 LS has had just about every problem an LS can have, and the hydro fan hasn't been one yet.

I don't think they're that bad of a fan design. A little odd, but not bad.

Agree with the higher alternator though, do the LS's have a 130 alt.? I know Furd makes them for the Vics and other models, how much more space could it have possibly taken up under the hood, compared to the BS of designing a hydro fan for the car?

That hydro fan sucks! Im placeing money that this is what causes half of my problems with the funny noises and leaks that just cant be pinpointed.

From what I understand they are run off of the same pump as the powersteering, I myself and some others had problems in cold weather with the powersteering. Now this can be bad if something happens to that pump from what I may figgure, also any contaminates from the PS fluids can get into the fan fluids makeing it crap out as well.

This is strange but I notice from time to time a leak under my car in that area, sometimes its there sometimes its not and I can see the fluid level has droped but it has not completly drained on me yet, weird cause it does stop leaking on its own.

there is a seperate pump - just above the alternator on the passenger side of the engine.

it generates a tremendous amount of pressure, squeezes ATF (Dexron/Mercon transmission fluid) through a hose to a pump on the cooling fan. The high pressure spins the cooling fan pump - spinning the fan.

The hose between the pump and the the fan is rated at 1300 PSI.

It is a common setup on euro cars - mainly Jags.

the power steering it on the other side of the engine and not connected to this system.

Then why not put a higher amp alternator on the car.
Having heard from Ford employees over the years on the nickel-and-diming of the designs by the bean counters, it has to be because the cost of developing/using the hydraulic fan setup was less than the cost of developing/using a higher-output alternator.

Quick you have pics of more than enough work with your car for me to believe you, I saw it on a funny looking forum while I was looking for other LS forums dooing a google search.

It had a lay out like carspace has pretty much. Now I feel realy freakin dumb.

I broke that hose - twice now.

i comes out the top of the pump and held in place with a cheap little clip.

I guess with all the engine torquing I break the clip - then the weight of the hose moving back and forth breaks the seal.

Removing that pump is a very painful.....

Hey Quik, You've done alot of custom work on these, any idea if it would be possible to swap in an alternator and bracket from an 03+ V8 onto an 02 V8?

yes - it looks like it will fit - but...

the pre-03 has a 105amp alternator, the 03+ only has a 125amp alternator

and the pre-03 are geared at 2.78:1 vs 03+ at 2.88:1 - because the belt is longer on the pre-03s due to the hydralic fan pump.

the better investment is the Ohio Generator - part number 7795-185
185 running amps / 235 - 250 max amps output

$618 retail (ouch)

Really? Only 125? I was under the impression they were 140 amps.
Guess ill have to find a shop near here that can just rewind it for me. The ONE alternator shop we had in this town closed up shop last year. I was very dissapointed because then I had to pay $250 for a new alternator for my Cadillac instead of $65 for them to rebuild the old one.

No way im payin $600 for an alternator though. 0_o
Id never need 235 amps anyway. Some other people might...

Members online

No members online now.
Back