Whats up with the Coolant??

Fla02LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently noticed that the only coolant you can buy nowadays is the premixed kind and all of them are a "one size fits all" type. I know that Ford requires a certain kind but why are all brands going this universal route? Are there any issues with using this kind in the LS?

the yellow all makes coolant is perfect use the premix so you don't have to worry about how much to cut it with water

And it increases their profit. Half of what they sell now is just water, which doesn't cost them much.

Remember that if you do mix your own, to use distilled water. That is what the premix is made with. Distiling takes all the minerals out of the water. Less corrosion.

Be sure to check for ... "Meets Ford Specification ####..." to be sure it is compatible. Some types of coolant turn to jello if you mix them with something else. Read the manual for the coolant specification. Some anitfreeze make it a little easy by saying they are compatible with Gold fluid. Probably OK but I haven't read every bottle out there, so I make sure about the spec.

I do not know much about the Ford Gold fluid other than I just buy a jug that meets the appropriate spec. I add distilled or DI water(we make the stuff at the factory.

The main reason for the premix is like one of the guys said, water costs a lot less than coolant and they get to sell more bottles of premix than 100%. Minor part is convenience.

manly men use real coolant and change their own oil.

Jim Henderson

Members online

No members online now.
Back