Which A/C compressor to buy

Blueberryyum02

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Looking rock auto which compressor do I need they have one wit climate control and one regular. And do it really matter if I buy other then motorcraft.

2002 lincoln ls V8

Aftermarket is fine. Note that 4 Seasons is the 'A1 Cardone' of the A/C world. I buy from the folks at ackits.com - they stock high quality parts whenever possible.

Ok I just picked up a Dallas compressor with scroll / clutch and pulley assembly from rock auto. And the main coolant parts for cheap, the coolants I can handle just to find someone to put this compressor on for me.

Ok I just picked up a Dallas compressor with scroll / clutch and pulley assembly from rock auto. And the main coolant parts for cheap, the coolants I can handle just to find someone to put this compressor on for me.

You should replace the receiver/dryer too.

You should replace the receiver/dryer too.
Ok Joegr I will do that.

What I don't get is, the compressor works good it's just the coil is weak or out of spec cause it want catch and hold so when it's above 80 degrees you hear it scratch and you can see when it drags like it's spinning but not at the speed of the engine.

Ok Joegr I will do that.

What I don't get is, the compressor works good it's just the coil is weak or out of spec cause it want catch and hold so when it's above 80 degrees you hear it scratch and you can see when it drags like it's spinning but not at the speed of the engine.

That's not an uncommon problem. My Ranger was doing that. I solved it by taking the front clutch plate off and removing one of the shim washers. I've had no problems with it since then. I haven't tried it with the LS, but I believe that the clutch and the fix are the same. One difference though, is that on the Ranger there is much more room to get to it, such that I didn't have to remove the compressor to do it.

This link shows the process.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc1011.htm~gen~ref.htm
Item(s) 3 of the first diagram is what I am talking about.
The shim adjustment procedure is shown in step 11.

Joegr the hub disc is what I notice that barely spin. I noticed that it would cycle on and off also when the hub disc would stop spinning or barely spin then you hear the metal on metal scratching noise. And can see it spin then stop then spin fast then drag.

When all of this is taking place the steering wheel tightens up and it loose the parking assist boost which leads me to think it's causing drag on the belt.

Yes, it's possible that the compressor is seizing instead of the clutch not pulling tight enough. Unfortunately, that means it may already be spreading little bits of metal though the whole system. If these aren't completely flushed out, the new compressor will quickly die.

Ok I hope that's not the cause. Please don't let that be the case. Lol. When the new one comes in I'll be sure to have them check it for that first.

sorry to bring up an old thread, but is there a way to test if it a bad compressor or coil? I have searched for days and cannot find any one that has asked this.

sorry to bring up an old thread, but is there a way to test if it a bad compressor or coil? I have searched for days and cannot find any one that has asked this.

What do you mean exactly? Which coil? Clutch coil, ignition coil, DCCV coil, relay coil, ...
What is the problem that you are having?

What do you mean exactly? Which coil? Clutch coil, ignition coil, DCCV coil, relay coil, ...
What is the problem that you are having?

sorry let me be more clear, i meant the compressor coil. ever since i got the car i never had a/c. the heater works good. the problem i have is when i went to change the condenser and receiver/drier and did a evac and charge on the system, but the compressor clutch never engaged. the system held the vacuum for the time needed before i charged it. i checked the fuse and opened the relay and saw the magnet work inside....any thing else i can check to narrow it down, although it seems like it is the clutch

Okay, the clutch (which is on the compressor) has a coil. The compressor does not. The test for the clutch coil is really easy. Disconnect the AC clutch and test the resistance across the clutch coil. It should be a fairly low reading. Anything over twenty ohms is probably bad.

Here are some other tests to verify that power is getting to the clutch.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc0003.htm~gen~ref.htm#PS2-L

Okay, the clutch (which is on the compressor) has a coil. The compressor does not. The test for the clutch coil is really easy. Disconnect the AC clutch and test the resistance across the clutch coil. It should be a fairly low reading. Anything over twenty ohms is probably bad.

tested the coil and it has high resistance too much for the dvom

i went back and checked through all the test and i tested the coil for resistance and i got 10 ohm! so the coil is good. so i think i have an open ground somewhere. i am not done with all the test but that seems to be the issue now. btw i got a better dvom now

Last edited:
so i did the whole diagnosis( the one that i could do). i started with the DATC MODULE SELF-TESTS and i got the code 1265 witch says to ignore. i checked fuse F1.01 and F1.11 they are ok, fan turns on when i turn on a/c. i went ahead and started with the test: http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc0003.htm~gen~ref.htm#PS2-L

L8- i have 65 psi on both hi and low.
L9-12.1v
L10- 12.1v
L11- 12.2V
L14- 14.07V
L15- 2.8 OHM
L16- 2.2 OHM
I did a continuity test on the clutch coil and i have around 10ohms.

anything else i can do, but now it seems like it is the compressor

Members online

No members online now.
Back