Winter tires?

jdlmkviii

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone here running any kind of winter tires and is there any kind of tire that anyone would recommend? I've been looking at the Michelin X-Ice, and the Bridgestone Blizzak. I currently have the rims still on my car and I got stuck in a horrible snow storm the other night and it was TERRIBLE... the HAVE TO come off soon, and would anyone also recommend studs?

Thoughts, opinions, facts, experiences, and recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

i have hankook icebears and love them. They are a Z rated snow tire so the wet and dry handling is good also.

Blizzaks! Under $80 each. Not bad for Bridgestones. Had them on a MARK VIII and a Merc Grand Marque. Only issue is they are Winter Tires only and are a tad noisy when they get over 10K miles on them.

The Marque did have a bit of rubbing if you turned to all the way to the right or left hard.

Had Blizzaks on my Crown vic Loved them they were great in the snow
as for studs check your laws in that area

Studs are not necessary unless you are frequently in icy conditions. They do nothing in snow.

I saw this article saying the Blizzaks are beginning to show age. I have no firsthand experience with them so I can't say if that's true.

I have always used Good Year Ultragrip Ice. They have been awesome, but I haven't really used any others to compare them to. I tend toward Goodyears because they are mostly American (or in that case Canadian) made.

We're running General snow tires on our long door limos this year. Still have Michelin Symmetry on the front. Our local dealer, who had the best prices on tires!!!, said that the Blizzaks should be put on all four wheels, not just the drivers. Said the tires are soft and grip better so the non-snow tire wheels will slide and possibly lead to a crash. Haven't had enough snow yet to try the Generals.

As an aside, we put heated wipers on all the cars and the van this year. Cost only $100, plus about a half hour installation. We won't do without them anymore.

We were going to buy Michelin's X-ice but a local tire shop suggested the Yokohama Ice Guard 20s. We saved a stack o' dough and have a set of tires on the car that feel very good. http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/tires/wintertiretest06-07_3.htm

I can't imagine the Michelins are any worse - the tire dealer suggested in his opinion the Yokohama's might be a bit better AND we saved about 25% on the price.

Members online

No members online now.
Back