Working on an HID conversion for the Mark

04SSHD

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well since I lost a headlight last week I have been trying to figure out what to do. I have been regularly checking ebay and have turned up no used bulbs and the dealer still has no idea on when and or if they will get more HID bulbs. So I have decided to convert my car to 9006 bulbs and I am currently fabricating a conversion kit to use with a readily available 9006 HID bulb. I should have it done with in the next week or so. I do have enough material to make a few extra kits, if anyone is interested in a kit let me know. I do not have any info on pricing yet, but I should have a better idea after the first kit is completed. It should not be too expensive, I am thinking in the $200-300 range including a 9006 HID conversion kit (that's for the pair).

I will keep you all posted with the progress and let you know how it comes out.

It's been done. Supposedly, it didn't come out too well. But, I didn't see it for myself, so good luck in your attempt...

A halogen bulb will not work well at all. The focal points and deflectors are not designed for a long or wide filament, just a singular point of light. Good luck, but I would rather just pick up one from dealer. eBay has a few there now for $300 or less, I think Torrie sells them cheaper. fastpartsnetwork.com or try Max at Five Star Ford.

I know conversions may be the only choice eventually. But the way I see it the bulbs are available (again) and last 5+ years. At this time, if I had HIDs, I would rather buy and OEM bulbs and then have the next 5 years to either find the conversion that will work right or, honestly, have a different car!

Ok, I take that back. eBay it is! Torrie got back to me on the HIDs, looks like not until March 2007. Orders where out there, but again cancelled at the last minute by whomever makes this darn things.

you have to wait until march for a freaking headlight bulb? what are you supposed to do, drive with no headlights? what about inspection stickers?
sorry to anyone stuck in this situation.

I'm thinking this may be brought to the attention of the DOT or some agency. I dont have HID (wish I did) but even I find this is BS. Some after-market company should make a conversion kit, one with a bulb that does not require modification - maybe just new ballasts - but a lamp that will fit right into the stock setup properly.

Think about how many Mark VIIIs were built in total.
Then only the 97,98, and some of the 96 LSCs have HIDs.

That's not much of a market for an established company to target. The best hope is that someone within the community develops an alternative.

Calabrio said:
Think about how many Mark VIIIs were built in total.
Then only the 97,98, and some of the 96 LSCs have HIDs.

That's not much of a market for an established company to target. The best hope is that someone within the community develops an alternative.

working on it!!! Well, I am not using a 9006 hallogen bulb, I am using a 9006 pigtail onto the lincoln's HID harness, bypassing the ballast and from that 9006 pigtail I am installing a HID conversion kit using the kits own supplied Ballast and the kit's HID bulb. I am designing a plate to screw into the 97-98 lincoln's headlight that is precut for a 9006 style bulb. The new HID bulb will then be inserted into the factory lense housing and will secure by twisting the new bulb into place just like any regular hallogen bulb.

aggiestckl said:
how much bro ill prob need one..

I will let you know when the kit is complete, it really depends on how much the materials are and how much time I put into it. I am going to keep an extra template for the actual bulb adapter. I should have an idea by the end of the week on what it is going to cost.

Just thought I'd mention, I have spoken to a company that has a bulb they believe will work. They are supposed to be sending it out to me after Thanksgiving.

I started the conversion, I got one side in and it is a complete success! I am currently working on the other side. I do also have a working OEM HID bulb that I am taking out that I will throw on ebay. If anyone is interested in a spare let me know. The pics of the kit will be up shortly, and the comparison of the light output. The converted side appears to have a brighter whiter HID color, As soon as it gets dark I will be able to tell if the light pattern improved or got worse. I will keep you all posted!

HID conversion is complete! Here are the pics-

HID001.jpg

HID017.jpg

HID020.jpg

HID005.jpg

HID023.jpg

HID027.jpg

ALOT brighter then stock!!!

HID029.jpg

New HID^

HID009.jpg

Old HID (stock)^

OEM HID bulb for sale-
HID014.jpg

That looks pretty interesting, have you had a chance to take it for a spin at night? Also, what temperature bulbs did you get? and where'd you get the hid kit?

Members online

No members online now.
Back