02 LS Need Advice-#1 cylinder dead

Bailey

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Having some issues with my 02 LS (98k miles, bought brand new and has been babied), running rough, won’t rev over 3k rpm while in park or neutral. Took into shop. Was told that cylinder 1 was completely dead, no compression. They only offered to replace the engine at a cost of $5k. Any other options or advice you can pass along to me, or is a new engine my only choice? Thanks for your help!!!

...won’t rev over 3k rpm while in park or neutral. ...

No LS will. That is a transmission protection feature that is programmed into all of them, and several other cars as well.

Why do they say #1 is dead? What are the compression reading? What does it change to if you put a couple of drops of oil in through the spark plug hole?
Are you sure it's not a failed coil, failed injector, bad plug, wiring fault, or PCM fault?

No LS will. That is a transmission protection feature that is programmed into all of them, and several other cars as well.

Why do they say #1 is dead? What are the compression reading? What does it change to if you put a couple of drops of oil in through the spark plug hole?
Are you sure it's not a failed coil, failed injector, bad plug, wiring fault, or PCM fault?

Wow! Thank you for all of the info. I’ll get the compression reading and post back. I’ll also check and see if they checked any of those other things. Thanks so much for your help!! I love the car and hate to have this be the end result...

I thought that revving in neutral or park thing was only on the second gens, Joe.

I thought that revving in neutral or park thing was only on the second gens, Joe.
Nope. Both generations. The 2nd gen does it via throttle control and is smooth. The 1st gen does it via cuts to the fuel injectors and is kind of rough.

Confirmed first get 3k rev limiter here...and tbh sounds like u need a new mechanic

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. Finally got some answers from the mechanic (yes, I believe I need a new one)...Here is some more info.

This is what was said to me as I told him there was no way I was going to replace the engine. “A compression test was never taken since it would have compression and then it would fall on its face and have no compression and then have compression again, very intermittent compression on cylinder #1 causing random misfires. I did not take out the spark plug to put in any oil. I did replace the plug and the coil and it didn’t affect anything. I checked the electrical and there didn’t seem to be any problems. I believe that it probably is a valve that is sticking.”

He told me that he believes to about 90% that the valve is sticking. The engine light is on, but he can’t remember what code it was.... Again, thanks for your help and I think you can see why I’m reaching out to all of you for your help in this matter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!! (I’m in zip code 61265, Illinois, if anyone knows someone who is proficient working on these cars).

It might be best to check for consistent, ( not constant), power at the #1 coil.

Could be the connector, wiring, or PCM.
Thank you, going to another mechanic next week and will recommend he checks the things you have listed. He’s going to be running a compression test, so I will finally have compression numbers to report.

Yeah... I'd run from that mechanic as fast as I could.

I'm going to go out on a limb and ask if there was a bit of a "language barrier" here?

After re-reading post #8.... I think it should say... and the mechanic meant:

"A compression test was never taken since it would have IGNITION and then it would fall on its face and have no IGNITION and then have IGNITION again, very intermittent IGNITION on cylinder #1 causing random misfires. I did not take out the spark plug to put in any oil. I did replace the plug and the coil and it didn’t affect anything. I checked the electrical and there didn’t seem to be any problems. I believe that it probably is a INJECTOR that is sticking"

Either way... I would run from somebody that suggests engine replacement over engine repair... because that just means they don't know what they are doing.

Members online

Back