03 Ashtray being insubordinate

KAIN81

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
This morning on my way into work my dash ashtray decided it no longer wanted to stay closed.
I push it in - no lock - and it slides back out.

I haven't had time to get in there yet - but thought i'd post up real quick and see if anyone else has already fixed this issue.

Gratzi.

This morning on my way into work my dash ashtray decided it no longer wanted to stay closed.
I push it in - no lock - and it slides back out.

I haven't had time to get in there yet - but thought i'd post up real quick and see if anyone else has already fixed this issue.

Gratzi.

There was an issue with this years ago and I don't remember the fix. I would just buy a new assembly......

Yep. I had this on my 04 early on. I forget exactly which little plastic piece broke, but I melted the plastic back together and it worked for a week or two. When it failed again, I took it in and had the whole assembly replaced under factory warranty. No problems since then, but we never use the ashtray anyhow.

Lol. well I don't smoke, never use it - and it only pops open when i put my phone between the shifter and the ashtray - think i might just glue that sucker shut. ghetto i know -but I seriously never use it and will be the only owner this car will ever know.

Lol. well I don't smoke, never use it - and it only pops open when i put my phone between the shifter and the ashtray - think i might just glue that sucker shut. ghetto i know -but I seriously never use it and will be the only owner this car will ever know.

That's probably what I would have done if the warranty hadn't covered it.

I use mine all the time, perfect holder for business card!
there is a little piece of plastic that slides into a notch that locks it shut, if you're lucky, it just popped off and you may be able to pop it back on, however most likely, a replacement is the only real fix.

mine broke years ago and i got one of out a junk yard. almost a year later, the same kind of piece broke off of the door that hides the lighter/power port. I still haven't done anything o fix that one yet, I'm thinking if I ever pull it back apart for anything, that I will just remove the spring and let gravity keep the door closed.

I had this problem also, on the bottom of the ashtray carrier (not the removable insert) is a small plastic pin which engages with a locking mechanism in the ashtray assembly; ageing of the plastic and general usage will case this plastic pin to break off of the bottom of the ashtray carrier which you can see if you pull it out and flip it over, the bottom is generally very smooth and where the pin used to be should show as a slight flaw in the finish of the ashtray carrier.

The fix is also very simple and will cost you nothing other than some time (5-10 minutes, or more if you have to rummage), when you have located where the pin used to be on the bottom take the smallest drill bit you have and drill a hole where the pin used to be; then use a brad (nail) for hanging medium sized pictures (18 x20) and press it through the hole from the inside of the ashtray carrier until it is fully seated and poking out from the bottom, then use wire cutter to trim the brad (nail) so only about an 1/8th of an inch is protruding from the bottom. Reinsert the ashtray carrier into the guide rails in the dash assembly and it should latch closed when operated, open and close it a few times to ensure that it engages each time and that it releases smoothly; if it doesn't stay closed or doesn't open smoothly then you may have to adjust the trimmed length of the brad, it may also be possible that the latching mechanism is broken and you'll have to buy a whole new assembly.

One last note, pick the brad and size the drill bit accordingly; a slightly smaller hole with a snug press fit is preferable to having to glue the thing in, I wish I had taken pictures to illustrate but it was so blindingly easy that it was done and over with before the thought had occurred.

I had this problem also, on the bottom of the ashtray carrier (not the removable insert) is a small plastic pin which engages with a locking mechanism in the ashtray assembly; ageing of the plastic and general usage will case this plastic pin to break off of the bottom of the ashtray carrier which you can see if you pull it out and flip it over, the bottom is generally very smooth and where the pin used to be should show as a slight flaw in the finish of the ashtray carrier.

The fix is also very simple and will cost you nothing other than some time (5-10 minutes, or more if you have to rummage), when you have located where the pin used to be on the bottom take the smallest drill bit you have and drill a hole where the pin used to be; then use a brad (nail) for hanging medium sized pictures (18 x20) and press it through the hole from the inside of the ashtray carrier until it is fully seated and poking out from the bottom, then use wire cutter to trim the brad (nail) so only about an 1/8th of an inch is protruding from the bottom. Reinsert the ashtray carrier into the guide rails in the dash assembly and it should latch closed when operated, open and close it a few times to ensure that it engages each time and that it releases smoothly; if it doesn't stay closed or doesn't open smoothly then you may have to adjust the trimmed length of the brad, it may also be possible that the latching mechanism is broken and you'll have to buy a whole new assembly.

One last note, pick the brad and size the drill bit accordingly; a slightly smaller hole with a snug press fit is preferable to having to glue the thing in, I wish I had taken pictures to illustrate but it was so blindingly easy that it was done and over with before the thought had occurred.

THAT'S the repair I was thinking about.

Members online

No members online now.
Back