05 Coil Problems

RiversideLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

New to the forum and been finding it very useful so I extend my hellos and thank yous in advance to all. :)

I have a 2005 Lincoln LS V8 that has about 40k miles on it and I drive about 40 miles to work each day back and forth.

Sometime back my car started to shake at idle intermittently and at different times when accelerating (seems more noticeable uphill). A few weeks back it finally threw a Cylinder 2 code and I replaced the coil with one from the local Autozone. It ran better for a few weeks and low and behold its doing it again but no CEL.

I noticed some oil appeared to be on top of the valve cover gasket on the passenger side but didn't see any oil around the coils on the passenger side. I got the car used at 25k but the basic 4 yr/50k warranty expired and i'm trying to figure out what parts I need to get to thoroughly replace the gaskets (any that should be addressed while i'm in there) as Rock Auto only mentions one part for it.

I already ordered a set of 8 MSD COP units and 8 NGK Iridium plugs for the car but if anybody could point me in the right direction of some part numbers and recommendations I would greatly appreciate it in addition to the wonderful information you guys have already provided on this forum.

Also if it helps I am in Riverside, CA and commute to Hemet, CA.

Welcome to the forum. Seems like you got it covered. The COP and spark plugs are one of the biggest things people replace when they do the valve cover gaskets. I have an 01 V8 and had my valve gaskets done two years ago. I didn't change the COP but the mechanic filed and cleaned my spark plugs. Pissed me off that I bought new ones and he didn't see him in the box until after he had gotten everything all back together. I'm now is having a slight hesitation going on. Try Teamford or contact Max for good pricing on the parts. They the vendors located on the right hand side of the page. Once again welcome.

Alright! CALIFORNIA! 03-05 have a 100,000 mile extended warranty on the coils. Take it to a dealer and they should replace the ones that are missing for free. They wont replace all 8 from what I've read, only the ones that dont work properly.

Let me know what you think of the MSDs, I havent installed mine yet. Im at 58K with no issues so I cant offer any advice or part #'s other than call Max from 5 star..

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome all. I'm going to stop by the Ford dealership tomorrow and see if they will take a look at it. Do you guys know if they charge for labor on the coils?.

I suppose I will also bring in my old coil (the one that I replaced the Autozone one with) so that that they don't give me a tough time over changing the old one myself (yep i'm a Murphy's Law fan).

RiversideLS, welcome X2 or 3. :)

I have 60K on my '05 and other than for poor fuel economy it seems to have avoided the dreaded coil/plug issue. Runs good, I figure BBK and large wheels and tires contribute to the fuel economy issue but I'm still thinking about replacing the whole lot (coils/plugs) soon though.

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome all. I'm going to stop by the Ford dealership tomorrow and see if they will take a look at it. Do you guys know if they charge for labor on the coils?.

I suppose I will also bring in my old coil (the one that I replaced the Autozone one with) so that that they don't give me a tough time over changing the old one myself (yep i'm a Murphy's Law fan).

If the Autozone coil is the OEM Motorcraft coil, then you are okay. If it is not, they won't work on it, and will charge you the diagnostic charge.
If the coils and plugs are OEM, and at least one is bad, there will be no charge at all.

Opinion: Non OEM coils and non OEM plugs are a bad idea on this car. The OEM, as bad as they are, seem to work better than anything else. Also, if you put anything other than OEM coils and plugs in, you lose the 100K coil warranty. (They check the plugs too - they replace the plug and coil as a set.)

If you meant that there was some oil on top of the valve cover, then that is probably a small leak around the VCT solenoid at the front of each cover.

Alright! CALIFORNIA! 03-05 have a 100,000 mile extended warranty on the coils. Take it to a dealer and they should replace the ones that are missing for free. They wont replace all 8 from what I've read, only the ones that dont work properly.

I had two coils that went bad on mine few months ago, but the dealership replaced them all regardless. Including all 8 spark plugs.

They said, Ford didn't want comebacks.

Status report

Hey All,

Just figured I'd toss a status report on what happened. Got the MSD plugs but their application guide was off and had the wrong coils come, the boot is a little wider and the electrical connector is at the wrong angle so I sent em back.

I found out that the AlanisDeals dealer on ebay was near by in Ontario and had local pickup so I bought a set of the standards off them for 114 and tossed em in with the NGK Iridium plugs (oddly enough pulled out the motorcraft plugs and found NGK Japan written on the other side of Motorcraft heh).

Changed out all the coils and plugs (which was a royal pain because the 2005 seems layed out a bit different than the ones in the tech articles - the drivers sides the pain on this one).

As of now she's purring and running solid, gas mileage is back, and i'm happily driving her, as soon as I get a new center cap heh I will take some pictures.

Thanks again for all the advice all and good driving ;).

I think the one in the tech articles was a gen1, might have been Quick's ls. Good to hear she's running solid

Members online

Back