1987 Lincoln Town Car help needed bad

jubylives

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok I have an 87 TC that is a limo. It had a bad coil so I replaced it. I was looking for vacuum leaks and ended up (dont ask) taking off the throttle position sensor. I put it back on and off we went. We made a couple stops and then put gas in and headed out of town. Got to town about 15 miles and it acted like it was out of gas and then died. Couldnt get it to stay running. Towed it back home and changed the fuel filter. It started up fine and good. Let it run for about a 30 minutes and went for a drive. Got about 2 miles and the same thing. Towed it again. Changed the filter again but this time it wouldnt start.

So I figured I messed up the TPS. Put a new one on and it started. It takes several turns of the motor to start When it does it idles fine but you touch the gasand it stumbles and wants to die.

I'd really like to get it going again as Homecoming is this weekend. Any ideas at all to help me out? It would be greatly appreciated.

jeremy

Google "TPS adjustment" and you should be good to go as long as you have a multimeter. You want to adjust the TPS to >0.9V and <1.00V on a hot engine.

Ok. I went out there with my meter and it said I was getting 5 volts. The thing isn't adjustable as it is. Do I need to make the holes oblong to adjust it?

Ok. I went out there with my meter and it said I was getting 5 volts. The thing isn't adjustable as it is. Do I need to make the holes oblong to adjust it?

If you are reading 5V you are on the wrong wire. Also, make sure you are using the ground wire from the sensor, not a separate ground.

I used the black on the sensor and actually tried both wires. Orange and green. Both gave me 5 volts DC. Any ideas?

I greatly appreciate the helpandso does my kids. lol

Ok. I got to thinking. If i am getting 5 volts on each wire Imay have a short somewhere right? Also There is hardly any play in the sensor to move it. It moves very very slightly. I must be missing something here.

Ok i got it to .99 volts. Now it will start but after a couples tries. It smells real gassy and wants to die if you put it in gear or hit the throttle too hard. I let it idle for about 45 minutes and turned it of and restarted it about 6 times. It still takes a couple tries to start and dies easily. Any ideas.

Jeremy

Jeremy, I will be honest...I have not touched a 5.0L in a year and a half. Your best bet will be posting on lincolnsonline.com with your questions, I am just trying to keep you afloat. I would check for codes before moving on. If you do not have an EEC-IV code tool (about $20) you can use a paper clip or multi-meter:
http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/
It could be the TFI module, incorrect timing, EVAP canister filter, fouled plugs, etc. Any codes will help sort things out. Check the Lincolns OnLine Tech section, too.

I greatly appreciate the help and honesty. I will check that site out you gave me. Thanks

Jeremy

I greatly appreciate the help and honesty. I will check that site out you gave me. Thanks

Jeremy

Grandmarq.net is another big one that I am sure could help. You can still post up what you get for codes here; it is just that you will probably only have me looking at it. On the other board there will be a dozen folks on it. :cool:

Ok i got nothing with the key off. I got 53 and 34 running. I have the TPS at .95 volts now. Could what reads the info from the EGR and TPS be bad?

Jeremy

Ok I ran the codes again myself this time. I did the test 3 times and I got:

KOEO code 11

KOER first scan was 12, 13 and 94. Last two was just 12

Any ideas?

sounds like rust in the gas tank what came out of the old filter. nasty brown crap? pull it again and see if its full of crap again. maybe its starving for fuel ?

Members online

No members online now.
Back