1st Mark 8 1st post

robs1280

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all! My name is Robert,
Just picked up a fairly clean 2 owner 1995 gen 1 Mark 8 with 110k miles a couple weeks ago for 1600 bucks. I am excited to say the least.
Back in the mid 90s, I followed these mark 8s as I thought these cars got the Cobra treatment (engine) not knowing it was the complete opposite. Back then, if you had a ride like these Mark 8s you were a baller! I however was stuck with a hand me down Toyota Previa minivan, and to say the least, was not turning any heads lol. It was time to start working and save up for cooler car.
I got out of High School and bought my first car, a 68 Mustang with a 289ci and this started a 10 yr plus love affair with all sorts of stangs. 5.0s, new edges, s195s etc. I always loved the 4.6 dohc and I finally was able to buy a 2004 Cobra new from dealer back then. Ended up selling that car a year later as my wife and I were expecting our 2nd child and we started looking into suv's. I ended up buying another terminator cobra back in 06 and had it for about 4 yrs. Sold back in 2010. Ever since then, I have always wanted another one but just couldn't justify the high prices these cars demanded now. So recently, I have been looking for the "poor mans cobra," and remembered that these older Mark 8's had and were the first to come with the 4.6 dohc engine. That and they were a lot cheaper! Sorry for the long back story, just started to reminisce a bit while typing this lol.
I have done a bunch of research on this forum and other forums, but still unclear about a couple things. One thing is the whole recall of a possible fire due to cruise control off switch. Was wondering if mine had the recall done or not. My cruise control is not working and the only other thing I see under hood is some type of inline fused wire extensions from Ford installed and tucked under the brake master cylinder, does this have to do with recall/problem? Is the cruise control supposed to not work after recall has been done? Sorry I have searched, but got somewhat conflicting info. Only other thing not operable is I have no heat, which I have read could be due to a bad blend door inside dash. Although I have read that this issue is a 2nd gen issue? Once I start up car, there is a constant clicking noise from inside the dash that wont stop. Sounds like a small electrical motor stuck on or something.. Other than these 2 minor issues, I love car and it is going to get the full treatment. All maintenace, spark plugs, wires, oil and fuel filters. Dropping the Transmission pan and replacing filter and also draining the TC and will add Mercon V fluid. I was thinking of doing the Jmod and adding a transmission cooler while I am draining all fluid, but honestly the car drives and shifts perfect and besides the occasional romp here and there on the skinny pedal, car is going to be a highway cruiser and be babied. Only other plans are rims/tires and a full cat back exhaust with 3rd cat delete and maybe removal of all the air silencer crap on intake. I like the idea of shaving off the air intake tube, but cant find any DIYs. I'll post up pics of car in a bit.. Oh yea, funny how life works out. While I never ended up buying another Terminator, a 2004 resides in my garage! My son who is now 20, purchased a 2004 cobra also a couple weeks ago!

Last edited:
Pics of car in for sale ad. Waiting on rims/tires to get here.. Side note, I ordered cat back pipes from trubendz on ebay and he never shipped out, never any communication either.. Anyone else have this experience from vendor?

00Y0Y_9MsruLES7HX_0CI0hR_1200x900.jpg

00p0p_hqauX8p0Ld5_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Welcome awesome cars you two have!
I have had and seen the cruise control recall fail and to have to do it again
The clicking is a good chance the blend door
I have trubenz with kooks headers magnaflow x muffler in the middle and pypes mufflers at the back
The kit I got wasn't bad but needs a good exhaust person to install it and to fab up a few extra pieces

Congrats on the 95 ride. IDK if the 95 has the same set up of the 97 but here is an article I wrote up for mine.
I also wrote up an exhaust article here up in Articles. Might give you some thing to think about since the 2 year difference is not different in all aspects of the gen1 vs gen 2.
My big problem with the pipes was drone. It took swapping out several different mufflers and complete trunk insulating and finally a pair of home made resonators on the tail tips to finally give the car a tone that was livable even at low rpm TC lock up acceleration. For me, it was imperative to get the drone out since in my younger stupid days, hi power rifle shooting with no ear protection has left me with bad tinnitus in the left side. The car sounds nice yet pretty reserved in the noise department.
Also give a look at this CAI article. It could give you some ideas with yours. Before the exhaust was mod-ed, this intake mod made one hell of a WOT turbine like vacuum sound. Way more cool than an old flipped carb cover on a small block V8 of the 70's.
Well, good luck on the new ride and have fun with it. once the mods get to the point of mine, it was absolutely imperative to get the J mod done. WOT 1st to 2nd is dam near a wheel spin with a good nudge back into the seat back. The OEM shifts were hopelessly lazy fining a TC lock up 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. The car is way more satisfying to drive even just putting around with crisp shifts at what ever throttle. Not to mention the trans fluid isnt being needlessly heated up in those no mans land non lock up shift times. Ford had a good thing going with these cars for the most part. Too bad they are relegated to the history books.

So update, I have been catching up on all maintence and a couple performance mods. I pieced topgether a dual exhaust with 2.5 inch pipes pre bent from Trubendz along with amazon xpipe, resonators and oval chrome tips. I also bought 5 spoke some rims/tires. I will post pics in a bit. I did want to mention that I have been feeling some laziness/weird shifting mostly from 2-3, if I apply some pressure to accelerator, it shifts nice and firm, but if I am lite on throttle thru the speeds to reach transmission shift points, it sometimes does not shift right away and rpms rise ever so slightly before shifting to higher gear.. I was thinking to drop pan again and just swapping the accumulator springs, the 1-2 AND the 2-3. Do you guys think this would solve this issue? I presviously had droppped pan, and drained TC and put back in 12qts of Mercon V, see that the 1-2 accumlater springs should be easy to get to, the 2-3 springs looks like I have to drop the Valve body. Still on the fence on doing the Jmod. I was looking at BCA Transmissions online and they sell predrilled JMOD separator plates/ springs etc. I honestly just feel like doing springs. Thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.
Back