2000 Lincoln LS Radiator fan starts but then stops replaced already

s5397

LVC Member
Reaction score
:feedback I own a 2000 Lincoln LS I had a problem with the radiator fan that was leaking oil so I decided to replace it but now that they have replaced it, they have to give it a little push so the fan motor can start. They push the radiator fan in order for it to start functioning and it starts to work but after the car is turned off and then back on it won't start the fan by itself, can someone please help I would greatly appreciate it. 2000 Lincoln LS V8 Hydraulic Radiator Fan. I don't know if it could be a sensor or what please advice me I would greatly apreciate it. Thanks

maybe the pump? have you checked for any leaks in the lines? Im not sure about a sensor since the car uses a hydraulic fan I would guess theres no radiator fan switch.

2k2ls said:
maybe the pump? have you checked for any leaks in the lines? Im not sure about a sensor since the car uses a hydraulic fan I would guess theres no radiator fan switch.
Yeah they've checked them and there is no leak on the pumps, 2 mechanics said it was the fan motor so I replaced it (1 motor), and the leaking one (2nd motor) I send to the shop for modification on the top and supposedly they fixed the leak where it rotates but that one has the same problem as the one that I purchased (that it starts working with a little help and then stops working), the thing is they took out the hydraulic fan motor just because it was leaking and working fine and now I have a big problem won't continue to work, but I still love my 2000 Lincoln LS V8 just that the parts are so expensive, and I alrealdy have about 3 weeks without moving my car, well I am just going to wait for them to come in today and hope that they'll find a solution to it, Thanks :L

well this forum is the right place to find an answer. hope it gets fixed soon i know how much it sucks to be without a car.

I was reading the service procedure on it and it says to use:

Use Motorcraft MERCON Multipurpose (ATF) Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX meeting Ford specification MERCON or equivalent.

Also that the system has to be bleed and they use a vacuum system to do it. They noted it could require bleeding up to three times.

Is it possible they did not adhere to the job steps?

makes sense. Any hydraulic system with air in the line will not function 100%

2k2ls said:
makes sense. Any hydraulic system with air in the line will not function 100%

exactally. With them noting that it might have to be done three time I imagine it isn't the easiest thing to work with. I look on to it with horror. A nightmare waiting to happen. If this doesn't pan out I will ask around with a few friends and see what they come up with.

eL eS said:
what kind of fluid did they refil the pump with?
They refilled it with Mobil ATF GM Dexron -lll Ford Mercon Multipurpose For Automatic Transmision. Thanks for helping

are there any types of valves in the system. im comparing it to a brake system and bad valves can restrict flow.

This may be a really dumb question, but this is my first car without an electric fan.
Whats the benifit of a hydrolic cooling fan?
Why can't you replace the whole thing with electric for under $100.00?

there is a duty cycle or veryable orfice valve on the back side of the pump that runs the fan hydralics.it could be stuck closed.i have seen shops that would remove it and adjust it but thay always go to far.the pump is on the passenger side you can see the valve from underneith the car with the trim removed.it has 2 wires that control it.good luck.

Finally after 3 weeks of having my car parked and after purchasing 1 fan motor and sending the other motor for modication on the relay it is now working non leaking or so it seems, problem had to do something with the lines and the oil that was put in it, it was rotating and then slowed the rotations, but now its giving full pressure. Thank you guys for helping :Beer I'm so happy later I'll post what the technicias said it was, meanwhile I am going to go cruise on my Lincoln see ya :L

bull#**$

i had the same problem there was other fluid in my rezevoir so the hydraulic fluid was too thin to turn the fan someone ata gas station put coolant in there

Members online

Back