2000 LS ECU problem

Bud Nixon

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've just purchased a theft recovery 2000 LS V6 with a 5 spd in it. Beside "other stuff" from interior being gone, apparently thief took the ECU as well. Does anyone have any knowledge of how to tell apart in between which one I would need to replace the original, due to the fact that DEALER parts guy wasnt much help at all! :Bang :Bang :Bang

BTW, could someone tell me where that thing should be, so I am sure that I am looking at the right place for the right thing?

Best Regards,

Bud

Picture

here is what Outside and inside look like :)

04022415_1X.JPG

04022415_6X.JPG

04022415_5X.JPG

didjital| said:
find someone to sponsor it, drop a crate motor in it and one seat, with a 5 speed... grip it and rip it !!

Shoot...before you do that...just keep with the diet. Remove more stuff and get it as light as possible. I don't think you'd screw up the 50/50 weight distribution if you do it properly. I think you could turn it into a good open road racer or maybe do SCCA events with it.

Because it was heisted...do you know if the motor is any good? Since the theif took the ECM...what else was done to it? If the motor is toast...have at it. Bring on the 4.6L.

Bud Nixon said:
I've just purchased a theft recovery 2000 LS V6 with a 5 spd in it. Beside "other stuff" from interior being gone, apparently thief took the ECU as well. Does anyone have any knowledge of how to tell apart in between which one I would need to replace the original, due to the fact that DEALER parts guy wasnt much help at all! :Bang :Bang :Bang

BTW, could someone tell me where that thing should be, so I am sure that I am looking at the right place for the right thing?

Best Regards,

Bud
The ECM (electronic brake control module) will depend on whether or not the car has ABS, traction control, or the advancetrac system. Here are the parts numbers and prices for the various modules.........
ABS only- YW4Z2C219BA $307.65
ABS/traction control- 1W4Z2C219BA $393.30
ABS/advancetrac- 1W4Z2C219CB $670.30

To tell which system your car has, there is a button in your center column that will either have a tire spinning (which means traction control) or a car with tracks behind it (which means advancetrac)
Hope this helps and good luck with that beast!

Bud Nixon said:
Beside "other stuff" from interior being gone, apparently thief took the ECU as well.

Best Regards,

Bud

I am assuming you are calling the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) a ECU (Engine Control Unit).

It's up behind the glove box - sticking through the firewall in the passenger footwell. The car cannot run without it, and it would be a huge job to convert away from it - the LS uses a databus for the PCM to communicate to the FEM and REM (front and rear modules) includes gauges and such.

DLS8K said:
To tell which system your car has, there is a button in your center column that will either have a tire spinning (which means traction control) or a car with tracks behind it (which means advancetrac)

Uh....... looks like that button is long gone.

F the 4.6L, drop in a LS1 and T56 from a wrecked Z28, convert to a carb and race that sucker! When the rear end breaks, install a 9" and tub it! :dj:

BlackLS00 said:

Yeah, those things were on eBay long before I got the car. I've only paid $5200 for the car, so I think thats a good deal.

Well, does anyone know what normally would be under the front seats. I've been told that one of them is Air Bag computer.

I just ordered the complete interior from some salvage yard in Mid States, $725 shipped to my door. :Beer Everything I need: seats, front seat belts, all speakers (like 8 of them), drivers panel (this one is a bit worn), Center Console, PW / PL buttons for all doors, and other minor stuff.
Salvage yard out of Cali quoted me $GRAND for just front seat(which btw come with air bags as well)

Got a set of factory wheels/tires (in great condition) for $550 shipped from a guy on eBay. Apparently, they didnt that the full size 235/50/17 spare which is in good condition as well. 2 keys are going to cost me $115 (thats cut and programmed)

car got 73k on it, and engine looks very clean and in good condition, but I guess I wont be able to know for sure until I start her up.

Anyhow, I will keep forum posted on my progress. :wave

04022415_8X.JPG

DLS8K said:
The ECM (electronic brake control module) will depend on whether or not the car has ABS, traction control, or the advancetrac system. Here are the parts numbers and prices for the various modules.........
ABS only- YW4Z2C219BA $307.65
ABS/traction control- 1W4Z2C219BA $393.30
ABS/advancetrac- 1W4Z2C219CB $670.30

This is what I have on the sticker under the hood by Catalist thingy. Is that going to help in any way?

Sorry, it wouldnt let me upload horizontally f.s.r.

P1010731.jpg

JohnnyBz00LS said:
Uh....... looks like that button is long gone.

F the 4.6L, drop in a LS1 and T56 from a wrecked Z28, convert to a carb and race that sucker! When the rear end breaks, install a 9" and tub it! :dj:
Chevy sucks

Bud Nixon said:
This is what I have on the sticker under the hood by Catalist thingy. Is that going to help in any way?

Sorry, it wouldnt let me upload horizontally f.s.r.
What do you mean by ECU? I was thinking you were referring to the ECM (some say ECU-electronic brake control unit). As for that, i don't think it is going to help you other than to tell you it has a 3.0 which you already know. Tell us specifically what part you are missing from what part of the car and we will help you.

DLS8K said:
What do you mean by ECU? I was thinking you were referring to the ECM (some say ECU-electronic brake control unit). As for that, i don't think it is going to help you other than to tell you it has a 3.0 which you already know. Tell us specifically what part you are missing from what part of the car and we will help you.

To start off I guess, it would be proper to ask me what are the things that are usually located under 2 front seats of the LS, of 2000 year, preferrably 5 speed MT one. (thats what I got anyway).

My front seats are gone, so are the things under them. I was guessing that one of them what ECU (Electronic Control Unit) as in ENGINE COMPUTER (what shop/mechanics/parts people call it anyhow)

So, throw your ideas down below!!! :slam

Quik LS said:
I am assuming you are calling the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) a ECU (Engine Control Unit).

It's up behind the glove box - sticking through the firewall in the passenger footwell. The car cannot run without it, and it would be a huge job to convert away from it - the LS uses a databus for the PCM to communicate to the FEM and REM (front and rear modules) includes gauges and such.

See Quiks' response.

Bud Nixon said:
My front seats are gone, so are the things under them. I was guessing that one of them what ECU (Electronic Control Unit) as in ENGINE COMPUTER (what shop/mechanics/parts people call it anyhow)

So, throw your ideas down below!!! :slam

I don't know exactly whats under the seats, but I am clarifying with Quiks' response that it isn't what you're thinking it is, and the location of the ENGINE COMPUTER you're in need of. All i've noticed below my seats are rails and motors for the seats.

:monkey: :D

didjital| said:
I don't know exactly whats under the seats, but I am clarifying with Quiks' response that it isn't what you're thinking it is, and the location of the ENGINE COMPUTER you're in need of. All i've noticed below my seats are rails and motors for the seats.

:monkey: :D

Thanks,

The thing is that in my previous experiences I've always found 2 things under the seats: AMPs and ECUs. I guess in this case, I've sort of forgot that plugs are more likely to simply be from PS electric supply.

Well, one guy from salvage yard said that driver's seat should have the Air Bag Computer, but I guess it varies from car to car. Another thing, what are possible options in 2000 LS 5 speed for the traction buttons on the center console? Also, did they come with a trip computer, the buttons below vents, which are above the stereo.

I am having a hard time finding a REPAIR book on this car, so I am sort of lost when it comes to that.

Thanks for all your help guys. I should get my wheels in this Friday, as soon as I get it into the garage, I will post up some pics and my progress. :wrench :steering

Here... this is what is around the glove box area, on the passenger front kick panel. Is this the thing that I've been looking for as far as the ENGINE BRAIN, and the thing that needs to be there in order for the car to starts.... lol...

BTW, is there an AIR BAG fuse thingy on the positive connection (+) which is hooked up to the battery in the trunk? Or its just a plain old red thick cord that connects to the battery. I got that thing cut off as well :(

ECU.jpg

Members online

Back