2000 LS V8 Timing tension bad? VIDEO! Please view.

johnnieboy13

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 2000 LS and I've been having this rattling noise on the passengers side on my engine for a few months now. The car is driving fine except for this noise and shaking at idle. I've read a few other forums and they let be to believe this is my problem. I'm kinda short on cash nowadays living in Michigan and I went on ahead and ordered the part today. Just wondering what's every opinion on this. I'm only planning to replace the tensioner as of now. When the weather gets better I plan to do what I'm supposed to do as far as chains guides etc. Just trying to make it thru the winter. Any help is much appreciated.

YouTube- 2000 Lincoln LS rattle on passengers side on engine.

Holy crap that sounds bad. Almost sounds like you have no oil in the engine... lol

Very rough, I am not sure. But I would park it and get some repairs going ASAP.

Scary noise

If the noise is in the front of the engine it may be the chain guides. If the noise is at /on the valve cover it may be more trouble. Also your change oil message
is enabled. U do have oil in it? I would have someone check it out.

i watched the video earlier. That sounds terrible. What codes are stored on the car? I can.t remember for sure, but i think your check engine light was illuminated.

Drake drizzy! t.o finest yeah dude mmm get that checked out and you say it only happens at idle?

i love this site because we all can relate to each others problems, i have that same exact noise!!! 2000 v8 with 92k, it sounds like something from inside the engine, but i took the valve cover off and everything looked good, noise is isolated to the passenger side as well. could this start to become the new noise for the cat going bad on the gen 1? i have this same problem and today when i pushed on the cat the noise kept changing so any help is appreciated but this video is perfect for the noise, and its not the timing, and as far as oil, my change oil required is on too! lol, but it has oil and im going to do a complete change tomorrow so that will narrow it down even more but i have been trying to diagnose this noise for a week now, not timing, not cooling system, not electrical, so im thinking exhaust, and its the cat rattling chunks around, because for me when i pushed on the cat after i revved it the noise got terribly worse like the sound in the video, if i reved it a few times the noise lessened by the 3rd rev but eventually when it slowed down to idle did the same sound, thanks guys!

Its plenty of oil in it. I kno I'm due for a change it just came up yesterday. The noise is coming from the front of the engine. I haven't checked the codes n a while but I can do that 2morro. I can only hear it at idle and when I'm going about 30 mph I don't hear it al all and it runs as smooth as glass.

That is insane... Sounds like an old Diesel, nice car otherwise but that is serious enough I would consider having a reputable shop check it out, because something is not right.

If the noise is in the front of the engine I would check the timing chain guides.

If the noise is in the front of the engine I would check the timing chain guides.

Well I ordered the part hoping it's that simple but I can't get it torn down until the part I ordered gets here in a few days so I'll just have to wait until then. When it's apart I'll be sure to check the guides. Hopefully I'm not n that bad of shape though. Preciate everyones responses.

If your code shows misfires on all cylinders on that side, then it's something with the timing assembly. I would not drive it anymore until you get the codes read.

PEOPLE! im telling you, it has nothing to do with timing! not chains or tensioners! i took the valve cover off and everything was fine, no slack in chains, no chipped plastic, valves and cam shaft perfect! not to mention, the noise started and i had NO CEL or codes! due for an oil change, but still has oil in it.

NOW, when i have the car idle and that noise is loud, when i put my hand on the cat or the exhaust the noise changes louder and more rattle. its not a constant knock, as much as it sounds like! it almost doesnt sound like a clogged cat, but i have been trying to diagnose this sound for a week now and the only thing i know for a fact is if i put movement on the cat or the exhaust pipes close to the cat and absorb the rattle the noise changes, sometimes louder, sometimes less.....

i can assure you my problem is the same as in this video, and i took the valve cover off and its not the timing!

OP, look under the car for the cat, and see if by touching it changes the rattle, the cats get hot, but if your car sat cold then its ok to check for the first minute until it warms up.

any help or advice is appreciated, thank you

He said it's coming from the front of the engine. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the cats are not located on the front of the engine.

front of the engine, but he has the video on the valve cover, and beneath the valve train is the headers that connect directly to the cats, the rattle vibrates up through the headers and makes the sound seem like its coming from the valve area, but its not the front of the engine, you can easily eliminate any front engine noise ;)

If your code shows misfires on all cylinders on that side, then it's something with the timing assembly. I would not drive it anymore until you get the codes read.

Got the codes read and there were 7.

1. P0153 o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1.

2. P0156 o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2.

3. P0161 o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2.

4. P0174 fuel trim bank two condition (paper from autozone says it could be o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1, ignition misfire, fuel injector problem, or engine mechanical condition.)

5. P0301 cylinder 1 misfire.

6. P0304 cylinder 4 misfire.

7. P0356 ignition coil number 6.

When my light first came on I just had the o2 sensor code and I got that fixed and the light was off until recently.

wow! i see your codes all pertain to the catalytic converter area! the 02 sensors, before and after the cats are bad, i am pretty sure even if you change the sensors, you will still have that noise, let me know if you are going to be replacing the cat on that side, im going to wait for you so i know if that fixes that problem as im pretty sure it will, but i hate to have to cut them off now as its not even spring yet ;) but like i had mentioned earlier, i know it sounds like a engine problem, but a noise like that in the front of the engine would only be the timing components, or a pulley. could be something a little deeper like a valve train component, but that would be in the same condition as the timing pieces, and if the timing checks out then the valve train should be ok.

its unbelievable, how this sound is actually the catalytic converter going bad, but i am convinced from when i was afraid to turn the car on after first hearing this noise, to when i checked the timing and put the valve cover back on and checked the pulleys. i knew it was something more. but my car didnt show any signs of damage except for this horrible noise! in order to diagnose it, i had to turn the car on and hear it again and pinpoint it. i went from the valve area, and ended up under the car pulling on the passenger catalytic converter, as soon as i started playing with it the noise kept changing, sometimes louder, sometimes would disappear. i guess the only way to check the cat is pressure test it but if you go by the noise you could almost be sure.

wow! i see your codes all pertain to the catalytic converter area! the 02 sensors, before and after the cats are bad, i am pretty sure even if you change the sensors, you will still have that noise, let me know if you are going to be replacing the cat on that side, im going to wait for you so i know if that fixes that problem as im pretty sure it will, but i hate to have to cut them off now as its not even spring yet ;) but like i had mentioned earlier, i know it sounds like a engine problem, but a noise like that in the front of the engine would only be the timing components, or a pulley. could be something a little deeper like a valve train component, but that would be in the same condition as the timing pieces, and if the timing checks out then the valve train should be ok.

its unbelievable, how this sound is actually the catalytic converter going bad, but i am convinced from when i was afraid to turn the car on after first hearing this noise, to when i checked the timing and put the valve cover back on and checked the pulleys. i knew it was something more. but my car didnt show any signs of damage except for this horrible noise! in order to diagnose it, i had to turn the car on and hear it again and pinpoint it. i went from the valve area, and ended up under the car pulling on the passenger catalytic converter, as soon as i started playing with it the noise kept changing, sometimes louder, sometimes would disappear. i guess the only way to check the cat is pressure test it but if you go by the noise you could almost be sure.

Well I don't know if this will mean anything to you but when I start the car in the morning I can barely hear the noise because it it so cold outside. My car stays parked outside. After 7 or 8 minutes when the car is warm that's when I hear the noise like I showed you all on the video. I noticed the smoke from the exhaust is twice as heavy on the passengers side though. I guess I can take it to the muffler shop and have em pressure check that cat to know for sure. I kno that would be great if it was that simple but if not then I will continue to take that side down and get a closer look.

Dropped a valve(s)? Broken rocker(s)? I would suggest running it without the valve cover on. I know its a pain, but to actually see the chains, cams, etc in action may help you. I did this on a buddies T/A to locate a bent pushrod so it can help. Just my $.02.

hey, they way i see it, you said you've been driving like that for 2 months, if it was the engine, it would have blow by now, as bad as that sh!t sounds, your car starts and drives, and your engine codes are common. if your willing to let someone check it out, any info you get will be much appreciated here, thanks man! good luck:)

ps. my ls has oil change required light on too, and we both have this noise, but im not low on oil and its pretty clean oil too, so i doubt thats it, but we have that in common also, lol

hey, they way i see it, you said you've been driving like that for 2 months, if it was the engine, it would have blow by now, as bad as that sh!t sounds, your car starts and drives, and your engine codes are common. if your willing to let someone check it out, any info you get will be much appreciated here, thanks man! good luck:)

ps. my ls has oil change required light on too, and we both have this noise, but im not low on oil and its pretty clean oil too, so i doubt thats it, but we have that in common also, lol

Did you reset your oil change on the dash? Maybe neither of you have done that since your last oil change. And the motor wont exactly blow up. If you ignore certain problems long enough, you will just create even bigger problems you may not be able to fix very easy. For all you guys know, you may have lost a cylinder or two and that is the reason for certain codes. Who knows though. One of you should start tearing into it.

Also, just because you dont need an oil change doesnt mean there isnt a problem with the oiling system. Your oil pump or pickup could be clogged and you could be starving the top end of oil. Until you start tearing into it though, we are all just guessing.

thats true, i wont have an update until i do the oil change and reset the dash, i hope it would be as simple as that, as my first suspicion was i thought it was just low on oil, thats a common noise for a low oil issue..

i wasnt really surprised the noise had changed when i moved around the cat, i had already "dug" into the engine, which i would only do for a noise like this, and everything looked better then i thought, which lead me to under the car.

ill keep you posted after the oil change

Members online

No members online now.
Back